Do you feel you can blame someone in your past for your future?

I learned that:

Parents bring you into the world, they teach you and then it is up to you to make something out of your life.

You can't put any blame on what you have been through, just work hard to get what you want, learn from the past, and move on to a better future.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Past the age of maybe 18, we become responsible for who we are. Our parents help mold us, but we still make decisions on who we want to be everyday. History is full of people who came from terrible backgrounds or poverty and became someone else. It takes an extreme amount of work but everyone can make those changes.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You make your life and holding onto to the past only make things harder for you. I hate watching these tv show where the kids come on and blame their problems on how thier parents raised them. I would never blame wnyone for my failures other then myself
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• time spent blaming is time you can never get back.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• CorrinaWithrow

I have four children and do the best I can, I have 3 a/b students and one who just don't want to do it.

I don't think age really has anything to do with it. She is my oldest and driving me nuts, she blames everyone for everything, homework, cleaning her room, being late, not following rules. although I do keep trying and won't give up, and pray before she is an adult she learns to be responsible, but each child is diffrent and that is a fact.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I blamed my parents my whole life! I never did "bad" things, but I heald onto a LOT of anger & resentment (child abuse, instability, etc). Then when I had my kids...I blamed them even more because here I was, raising 3 kids, and doing a far better job then they could have ever imagined! I thought I knew it all, I heald my head high acted so much better then my parents.
    Then I was sitting in church one day, and our pastor talked about this class that was available called Healed & Set Free. I am pretty sure he was talking right to me LOL. I took the class and WOW did it teach me a lot. ALOT!! One thing I learned was that #1...who am I to judge them? I'm not perfect. We ALL make mistakes! It was time for me to move past all that and stop allowing myself to be sucked in by my past. I've actually forgiven them and finally GROWN up! I love my parents now, truely love them for my past & future. I only wish I did this sooner :)
    rainandresmom

Answer by rainandresmom at 10:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think as an adult you make your own decisions and if your life is crap, it's because of the choices you made.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• No, I don't. Mainly because if I do great things, it's because I made the choice to and I don't want to share the credit/great feeling with someone who did nothing for it. So, if I can't share credit with people in my past, I can't share blame.
    It's all choices, most bad or borderline bad, some good, but all that have led to where I am today. It's all on my own shoulders.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2010