Do you think it is more acceptable for a husband/father to have a few drinks in the evening than it is the wife/mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think its more acceptable. I think it is ok to drink a few in the evening as long as one of the parents is sober to watch the kids. Sometimes having a totty is good for your sanity. If anything, I'd say the mother has more of a right to drink after spending all day taking care of a little being that consumes your life! I certainly don't judge other mothers for drinking, but then again I am biased because I definitely partake in having a few brews here and there.
    EthansMom519

Answer by EthansMom519 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't think drinking is okay period but I've had bad experiences with that in the past. If someone has to drink every evening, and I can already see someone coming along saying they "only drink a glass or two of wine" like that is somehow not booze, there is a problem. But in answer to your question, yes, I think it's seen as more acceptable for the father to drink because he is the father. Most people see a father's work as his part in the conception and putting food on the table. Men aren't typically expected to have to spend actual time with the kids when they are little. I think it's sad and a double standard but there it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't think it should be, but i think people think it's OK for the dad to drink, but when the mom drinks...i think people look down on that. I've seen so many people talk shit about a mom with a beer in her hand, yet they have nothing to say about the dad with a beer in his hand. I think that's kind of ridiculous IMO. Why the double standard?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I certainly don't. Drinking isn't really an activity either parent should partake in. We certainly don't have any alcohol in our home at any time. Hubby may have a beer or two on special occasions when we go out but that's about it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• OP here;

I'm asking because i have friends who say that a women should not drink as much as her husband does. I think that sounds wierd to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• IMO,I don't think either should when there are kids in the house to look after. i think women are held to a higher standard and we should be able to cope better than to have to resort to drinking at night to relax.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Body weight and basal metabolic rate are factors here. A man can drink more without becoming drunk than a woman can as a rule of thumb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• "Body weight and basal metabolic rate are factors here. A man can drink more without becoming drunk than a woman can as a rule of thumb"

That is true, most women can't drink as much as men can. Although, i know some women who could probably out drink some men...LOL! But, i don't see anything wrong with a cocktale or a glass of wine after the kiddos are asleep. Father or mother, it makes no difference to me. It's good for the heart to have 1-2 drinks. When DD was a baby, i never drank though. I was too paranoid she would wake up sick & i might have to take her to the hospital, or somehting like that. But, DD is a lot older & i will have a drink at night on the weekends with DH. I do think that there is a double standard though. A mom might catch more slack for having a beer everynight than a dad. I think they both are equally responsible, so it should not matter at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My dh has a beer or two after work at times. I don't drink, maybe twice a year. Not that I feel that I shouldn't drink, but I just don't drink and my dh does. I don't really think a mom who drinks is a bad mom, unless she's completely drunk and can't care for her kids!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2010