Do you eat Gluten Free?

I have a lot of stomach problems (fatigue, bloating, hives...and 11 of the 16 mian symptoms of Celiacs). I had a stomach biopsy on Tues, so I should get results to see if I do have celiacs or not. My youngest son also has severe hives, bloated abdomen, diarrhea etc.
I am considering going Gluten Free to see if it helps (even if I dont have celiacs).

My Question: Do you eat gluten free? If so: Has it helped you? Have you gotten used to it? Did you change your childrens diet too?

(**I'm just looking for info...NOT debates. Please no attitudes ;) Thanks!!)

rainandresmom

Asked by rainandresmom at 10:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Health

• Why would you go gluten free is the biopsy is normal? Celiac is very easy to diagnose, they would have been able to see it on the endoscopy because it changes the look of the tissue. But they will certainly be able to confirm it with the biopsy. My daughter has many stomach problems too and so far they have not found a reason. We tried the feingold diet (no additives or food colorings) and cutting out dairy that didn't help either. I hope you get your results soon. Not knowing whats wrong is the worst.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son is autistic and we did the gluten free casein free diet for a while. Unfortunately, it cut out most of what he WOULD eat (sensory issues) and he ddn't need to loose any more weight so we stopped. It didn't seem to impact his behavior anyhow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son is gluten free and soy free. I won't lie, it sucks. We are getting used to it though. It's very difficult to find acceptable substitutes for things we all enjoy. GF bread in the stores is gross, so I make my own, which is a million times better. You can get a good bread maker (mine is a Cuisinart) with a GF cycle on it and try different GF mixes. My favorites are Pamela's Products and Gluten Free Pantry. Amazon.com has a huge gluten free selection, better than any store I've found and better prices, too. My son went GF because of a blood test that showed he's sensitive to it, but we haven't seen any changes in him since he started the diet in March. I'm really not sure if it's helping or not.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Bloobird is incorrect on some points - Celiacs is NOT always easy to diagnose - a "friend" of mine took 3 years to diagnose. Also - did they do a stomach biopsy, or a colon/intestine biopsy? The stomach won't tell you anything - celiac's is diagnosed sometimes through bloodwork, but more definitely through a colon/intestine biopsy. I tried eating gluten free for a while for a few reasons - it was very very hard but I did feel a little bit better for it. I was able to slowly work back into a normal diet, but if I eat too much stuff with gluten I will feel rotten the next couple of days. Really, if your child is also going through some of the same stuff, it's worth it to try - but you have to stick to it! It is expensive to replace normal foods with gluten free foods (pasta, bread, etc), unless you drop them altogether and stick with potatoes, rice, etc for your carbs. GL, and read labels - gluten is snuck into the oddest stuff!
    Anonymous

• Yes, It does really suck not knowing whats wrong! I've been dealing with this a really long time and so far trying to eat 'healthier' isn't really fixing anything, so thats why I want to try a GF diet. As far as my son..Doc said he's prob allegic to soy milk so I just switched him back to cows milk to see if the hives stop..but now the diarrhea will prob start again. But dr is working great with us to figure it out.
    THanks for your honesty about going GF. I had a friend who did it because she was having some really bad hormonal problems and her dr recommended it. She worked with a dietician. SHe said she never felt better.
    And I've done so much research on Celiacs that I know enough to be informed MORE than most of my doctors!! I also know a person can have a gene that makes them gluten sensitive, but a biopsy/blood test will not show that. I'm not looking to have a dna test
    rainandresmom

Answer by rainandresmom at 4:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2010