Sensory Issues?

I've sought out assistance for my almost 3yr old for speech. She's behind her peers.

She'll be 3 in a couple of months and has just got to the 3 word phrase stage.

However; they keep saying they think she also has some "sensory issues" and they think an OT would help too.

I want her to get whatever help she needs; but I don't understand what this means; and they don't seem to be able to explain it to me.

When I hear sensory issues I think of children who have Autism. Children who can't handle bright lights or sounds; or wear certain fabrics; or eat 'smooshy' foods etc...

My DD has none of those issues. She is just hyperactive. She loves to be on the go go go. She has spent all her time mastering every physical skill possible rather than learn to speak. She has a stubborn streak like no one's business. She can be very obstinate.

Is anyone familiar with this type of situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Since she is constantly on the go, maybe they're thinking she is a sensory seeker? Kids with sensory issues aren't just limited to those who avoid input, they also include those who want more input and the ones who are seeking more sensory input often appear to be hyperactive. Does your DD like to crash and bang into things? Does she like to be hugged really tight or to roll around on the floor? Does she seek out rough play? If so, then she may be a sensory seeker and a good OT could help her to regulate her need for strong input. This may settle her down some and elminate the hyperactive behaviors. If your school district is offering to give her OT to address this, go for it. The extra service can't hurt her, but they could help.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• who is the "they" you are talking about?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• She's been evaluated by the county school board; they give assistance with children who are behind before school starts.

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Any child can have sensory issues, not just autistic ones. My daughter has SID and was greatly improved with therapy. If they are offering it I would take it. If you don't feel like it's doing any good you can always pull her out later. But I think it is worth a try.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• TY for the information bloobird.
    I am going to take her; I'm just trying to understand how it fits together or what it has to do with her speech?

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would recommend a book called The Out of Sync Child.... some of her physical behaviors may actually be sensory and you just don't know it.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My dd is 4 and sounds very much like your dd. But my dd does have a few autistic tendances...they are mild.

But the therapist want to test her for sensory disorders too, which I am fine with. B/c if she does have sensory issues, it might help me to understand her better.

But she has none of those like you listed....nothing about loud sounds, bright lights or textures seem to bother her in anyway.

So I dont believe she has this, but if they want to make sure, its fine with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My daughter did have severe sensory issues. She wouldn't allow me to hold her, cuddle her, give kisses, brush her hair, wash her hair, put lotion on her, she didn't like swinging, or driving in a vehicle, textures of soft foods were very horrible for her. It was a very long and difficult process, but she was receiving help from the OT, and she is now 4 years old and has over come every obstacle!! She did have a lot of medical problems (health wise), but is a normal little girl now!! Good luck to you and your family! =)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my parents noticed sensory issues with me around 3rd grade. I have sensory to light. I would play video games and I would freeze and all of a sudden get a migraine..or i would be in class and the teacher would bring out the overhead projector and it would cause a migraine. I got glasses and it helped some but not really. I later started having seizures when i got my period. I only had them when i would have a period.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I was thinking it sounds like she might be sensory seeking too. If that's so, then sensory input may not be strong enough for your daughter to respond to it. You can search for "sensory seeking behavior" to see if any of the descriptions sound like your daughter. Here's some info to get you started:
    http://www.sensorynation.com/what.html
    http://faculty.olin.edu/~jcrisman/Service/KWTWebNews/Therapies/sensory_integration.htm
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2010