Is it normal for my 2 year old son to FREAK out when he sits on the toliet?

My son is 2 1/2 years old. He has gotten to the point where he can feel when he has to go to the bathroom and will not go in a diaper or underwear but when he sits on the potty, he Freaks out! He holds it in and screams, he says it hurts, i have talked to the Dr about it and all he says is my son just isnt used to the feeling, which is dumb!! He's being going to the bathroom sense he was born. I dont understand whats going with him. When he finally goes he is happy and excited but we fight and fight and sit on the potty for sometimes 15 minutes at a time. I dont know what to do to get him to just go. He has always been very sensitive when it comes to him privates, he hates it being touched/wiped/washed/anything, I dont know if that has something to do with it? I dont know if this is normal? I dont know how to help him?

sdierker

Asked by sdierker at 11:25 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What we did was to have our children's potty chair across from the adult toilet. We sat on the adult toilet and let them imitate us and sit on the potty. It is startling to them to sit and the "chair" bottom is a hole. It's not unusual for them to fear falling in. He may not be able to communicate to you that he is scared but knows you respond to "it hurts" so maybe he's confusing the two. Just be patient. Keep trying but don't make him sit 15 min. He's 2. That's forever to him. I wouldn't make him sit more than two minutes unless he is having a real bowel movement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son started acting like that after he fell in the toilet. It scared him a lot, and now he screams when I try to get him to sit on it. We've started trying to teach him to use it standing up (for peeing only of course). Some boys also do better when they get on backwards so they can hold onto the back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Have you tried making it funner? like cheerio's in the toilet? is the the childs potty or the seat on the big toilet? I know our small potty, it was weird, it like cupped in to his balls and it just didn't work and he likes to sometimes try to stand like daddy and pee so we bought corn flakes or maybe even a funner cereal would help? My son is not potty trained and 2-1/2 so I don't have the best advice, good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I've heard that the Cheerios in the toilet works well. I've also heard of people setting the kids facing backwards on the adult toilet. I would say that if he is that terrified and the whole thing is stressful, he may not be ready. Everyone brags that their kid was trained by two years old, but the majority aren't. My DD was about three, even though she knew how to use her potty by 1 1/2.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2010