applying for food stamps with full cupboards.

I lost my job and even though we have enought food for about six months expect for milk and bread, should I apply for food stamps now or wait, but if I run out it is hard to stock up starting with nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would do it now- It always helps when you need it. I wouldn't wait because so many people are losing jobs and the system is on overload right now. The faster you get in the better. Sorry you lost your job. My husband lost his last November and still hasn't been able to find work. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You should keep looking for a job and live off what you have. Alot can happen in 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If you qualify for food stamps at this point then I see nothing wrong in preparing for whats to come. Good luck hon
    Anonymous

• 6 months? I would wait. Foodstamps are for people who really need them.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would apply now. It can take up to 30 days to get your application even approved, then longer to get the actual food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• PA is there to help those who are willing to help themselves. You aren't looking for a hand out, just a little help. Apply now and use what you need... Keep looking for a job as well, you may only need a month or two but you may need your stock pile for something else... The point of PA is to help those who are down and out... So when you are, there is no shame in using it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Apply now. If you don't need them, you don't have to spend them and they add up and stay on your card for future use. You never know what future struggles may lay ahead waiting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Apply now why wait you may run out faster than you think. When you don't work some people tend to eat more.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If you qualify for it now, go ahead, like the others have said, it can take a while.
    And, just because you get X amount for every month doesn't mean you have to spend that amount. Anything you don't spend rolls over to the next month, and once you get a job again you can always spend any extra that is left over to donate food to a food bank or something.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• who has enough food for 6 months?
    i think you will be surprised on how quickly this goes
    unless you are super organized and have made dinners for the last half year??

takes a while when you apply

if you find you do not have need in future, you can always donate the food to a food pantry
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2010