Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing my name

How do I change my last name to my husband's last name? That doesn't automatically change right? We just got married June 12th.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • When you get your wedding certificate, you use that as prof of your marriage & go to the DMV, the post office, your insurance company etc... and change your name. You cannot do it without your marriage certificate, that is legal prof on paper that you guys are married.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 11:53 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • You will need to go to the cocial security office and apply for a new card with your new name. Bring your marriage certificate and birth certificate with you. They will mail your new card with your new last name to you in the mail. You will also need to change your drivers license or state I.D...go down to the bereau and have that done. Call credit card companies,utilities that are in your name and any other bills that are in your name and let them know about the change.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Use the marriage certificate and go to the Licensing part of the courthouse and change y our driver's license. I just used my license to change with everything else. I guess they figured the licensing people saw my marriage certificate, it was enough for them. One thing though, don't forget to change the last name on your SS# card.
    You may need to do that before the license. It's been 7 years so I don't remember the exact order.
    And congrats on the new marriage. :-)

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Go the the Social Security Administrations site for all the papers you need to send them or bring to change it.You can legally use his name now even if it has not been changed yet. (at least in CO you can)

    Answer by ABusyBee at 12:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • I agree, just take the Marriage Cert everywhere you want your name changed, SS, driver's license, bank, etc and they will make the changes. Call first and ask how much all that costs.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2010