Does anyone here have a good relationship with thier step childrens biological mother?

If you do, how did you come to this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• It took five years of bickering and being rude but I think the new wife and I are figuring things out. When my ex and her stated dating she was only 19 (he was well in his 30's) and she acted like a 19 year old - like she was proving she won something. We fought and said rude things to each other when ever we were around one another. It got so bad that when I knew she was going to be around I would have panic attacks just because I didn't know how things were going to turn out. Finally I had enough and became the bigger person and told her we needed to talk. We had a girls night with my seven year old daughter and we were able to hash it all out. I laid out my fears of her being in the kids life and she laid hers out. I think for the first time we saw each other in a new light. Since then we text each other about everything and panic attacks are no longer an issue. It makes life much easier to get along than fighting.
    devotedmomoftwo

Answer by devotedmomoftwo at 1:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Absolutely not.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I wish. When we first met I told her that I would like to get along with her and be able to share stories with her about her son. (she calls me "that thing" when refering to me and used to be very intermittant in his life-now she has not seen him in almost a year and a half) She said "No offense, but why do you care?" I told her because I loved her son too and it would be good for him to see us get along and have a healthy relationship. She said "I don't want to be your friend." I guess she was missing the point. I didn't want to be friends I wanted to get along. She would tell him to say "I don't love you anymore." "You're not my mommy." REALLY?!? Using a 3 year old to try and hurt me? But who is hurt? My now almost 5 year old step son-thats who! The only pain I feel is from how sad he is, not because of the mean things she told him to say to me.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 12:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• this was just on dr. phil!! very good show!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• no we do not have a good relationship
    she is nuts and has used the kids to hurt me and her ex (my boyfriend)
    unfortunately this only hurts the kids
    they are ten and almost 14, the older one , a boy, does see through it, but still feels like he has to defend his mom
    example...
    after she has them, we know she has been talking trash because the ten yr old (girl) comes in the house with attitude and is very very snotty, she gets warnings and then punished
    the boy, 13, over compensates big time, he quietly goes into his pocket, pulls out his last candy and offers it to me=he is a sugar freak and candy is golden, so for him to save his favorite candy and offer to me, is like him saying I know you do not deserve what was said at my moms house, here is something from my heart
    it is sad
    she has said to her kids...i am evil, i do not love them, when i have my baby i will not care about them, they do not have to listen to me etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• not at all, i came into this situation prepared to be civil with her, and the first time i met her, she stood up with a group of her friends, and they all walked by me gossiping like high schoolers. my name is simple, easy to pronounce yet she can never get it right. i'm good friends with her sister, and she constantly talks bad about me, even though her son lives with me, and i'm the one taking care of him ALL the time. i don't have time or energy to put into someone negative like that, so we ignore each other and that works for us!
    Anonymous

• With my ex husband, i was eventually able to have a relationship with his ex. We both tried to be civil & there were times in the beginning where she was a total crazy bitch. But, i killed her with kindness & she eventualy buckled when she realized how much of a bitch she was being. We hung out all the time & took all of our kids to go do fun things just the two of us. It would creep ex husband out that his wife & ex wife were hanging out all the time. Of course, when i left ex husband...all of a sudden she hated me again...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Well, not really. But I'm hopeful that one day she'll be caught outside in the daylight or get a stake through her heart and things will get better.
    Anonymous