When will it be acceptable for boys and men to dress in girls/womens clothing?

My husband and I were talking about a question from the newcomers group. It's about a little girl wanting to wear a tux to her parents wedding. My husband said if we had a daughter and she really wanted to wear it, he'd let her. So I turned the tables and asked if one of our boys wanted to wear a dress to our wedding he said no way. He said women and girls have crossed the threshold and it's acceptable for them to wear mens clothes. No one bats an eye at tomboys. But, men and boys who wear dresses or womens clothes are labeled gay or transgendered. Why is there a double standard?

GothicMommy3

Asked by GothicMommy3 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Because life is full of double standards. The sexes were NOT created equally, but that doesn't mean that one is better than the other, just different. There are alot of things that are acceptable for boys/men that aren't for girls. Just the way it is
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You have to remember also that girls that dress like boys still get talked about, maybe not as much, but they do. People say they are lesbian just like if a boy who wears a dress (heck even something as simple as a kilt) are called gay. I do not know when it will be acceptable.. if it ever will be.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We have crossed the lines to a certain extent. I think it can be very stylish and sexy...but a woman in a full suit etc, not! I hope men never want to dress like women. I love men, I want my man manly, not girly. May be a double standard but I don't care!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I really don't know when or if it will ever be completley acceptable. But honestly, I also REALLY don't want to see my dh or my son wearing a dress and highheals. I really really don't.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• we see celebrity woman where ties and tuxedo's all the time so its normal but when we see Vin deisel wear a scottish skirt then thats a big no no. i guess its just not normal according to our society
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• What about kilts?
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Personally, I prefer people to dress in what is appropriate for their gender. But if someone can't decide what their gender IS, then it seems they will dress however they want to even if it isn't acceptable. I would have to hide so theywouldn't see me laughing....but they will dress any way they want. I won't stop them. But I might laugh...
    Some day we will all be so confused we won't know who is a male and who is a female. That will be sad,IMO.
    Anonymous

• When? Never.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It's acceptable now, I believe.
    Some men wear dresses and dance on stage or become "prostitutes" of some sort.
    Other men wear them just before their operation so they are used to it.
    I suppose in European-ignorant areas, the kilt of Scotland would be mistaken for a dress/skirt, and might be laughed at, but if that person went to Scotland and kept on laughing, they would get their arses kicked.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2010