I have a 7.5 year old toe walker. Have been doing PT for 2 years trying to correct it. She has the start of foot breakdown. Trying to decide if we should stop therapy and go for the heel strap lengthing. Any advice? or even thinking about serial casting w/botox?

bellamady

Asked by bellamady at 12:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Health

• i'd talk to her ped and see what they say.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm surprised they have done 2 years of PT without recommendations of further intervention
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• This is something that you really need to be discussing with the appropriate professionals not cafemoms.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I have a cousin who is a toe-walker. After extensive PT, they are now making her wear braces at bedtime. Through the night, these braces SLOWLY shape her muscles where they should be. And they constantly have to remind her to get off her toes.
    Anonymous

• We have been talking w/professionals, trying to decide the best way to go for our little one. Wanting to connect w/other Mom's who have had experience w/this situation and what worked best for their child. Our toe walker has been in therapy, wears night braces and also uses them during the daytime. Our options are either surgery or serial casting. Hoping to connect w/someone that has experience w/either of these options. Anyone out there? Can u tell me about your experience?
    bellamady

Answer by bellamady at 2:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I can't help with your specific problem but here's my two cents........

We suspected our son had something wrong with his foot when he was about four. Two different docs told us "not to worry", at about age 10 he begin to develop pain to the point of not be able to walk. Again, two different docs couldn't find anything wrong. I finally took him to a Podiatrist who diagnosed his problem, a calcaneonavicular coalition, within about 30 seconds (and I mean that literally). Successful surgery 6 months later and he is 1000% better. However, due to years of mis-use he will never achieve optimal use of his foot.

What I'm suggesting, from my experience, is the sooner you correct the problem the better off you will be. Good luck and don't be afraid to get multiple opinions about treatment.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My daughter wore orthotics from the the time she started walking up until she turned 7; did P/T from the time she was 3 months old until 7 years of age.  Our orthopaedic specialists wanted to do the serial casting w/botox for our daughter but we opted not to do it because it was described to us as a semi-permanent solution ... more permanent than wearing orthotics but it would not be as permanent as surgery (which wasn't even an option in my opinion).  Sounds like your child's issues may be impacting him/her more than what we experienced with our DD.  Sorry I can't be of more help. 

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You'll need a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. A normal ped is NOT going to help you. My son was/is a toe walker. His official diagnoses is ITW (idiopathic toe walking). Last summer 2009 he had all kinds of testing done on his legs. EMG, MRI, x-rays, etc. In the end we were given 2 options serial casting with botax or surgery. We opted for surgery because if the serial casting failed we would have to to do surgery anyways. His surgery was cut and lengthen both tendon in both of his legs. Prior to surgery he could NOT stand flat footed. Today he stands and walks flatfooted. He STILL wears AFO and will have to wear them for the next 2-3 years. I've documented all of this on my blog. This is the link to my latest post about his my son's toe walking. It has links to other postings as well.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I wanted to add that my son will be 9 next week. We started this all right after his 8th birthday. Prior to summer 2009 NOTHING was done in regards to my son's toe-walking. I couldn't get our ped. to take me seriously on it, so I couldn't get any referrals to be seen by anyone. It wasn't until I went in and said look something needs to be done about the toe-walking because it was stopping my son from playing sports that the ped. took me serious. The pediatric orthopedic surgeon that seen my son that just moved to the area, has seen children as old as 18 with the same toe-walking issues. Ped, family doctors around here just didn't take it "seriously". Either that or they didn't think there was anything that can be done because our area didn't have a pediatric orthopedic surgeon until last summer. As for PT: My son does NOT need it, he's been doing that well with just surgery and the AFO.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Oh and my son only wears the AFO during waking hours. He does not wear them at night.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010