Gagging Himself

Ok my 11 month old has started sticking his fingers in his mouth to the point he gags himself and even vomits sometimes. Why is he doing this and how can I get him to stop.

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 1:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was teething he would stick his finger down his throat and sometimes throw up. We usually just tried to give him things to help him like rings or if it was really bad some tylenol.
    Anonymous

• Babies have a more forward gag trigger. He'll learn his own limit eventually. You can't stop it. He does it because all babies put their hands in their mouths. It is how they learn and discover. It may also feel good if he is teething. Don't worry about the vomit unless it is excessive. Babies are unfazed by it, they don't make a big production of puking like adults -- in that regard they are more like dogs :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son does that. He never vomits but comes very close. I asked the doc and he said he would learn to quit with time. Its normal. My son will be 1 the 27th and has been doing it since like 9 months :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010