How do you word your answer to a 10 year old boy that asks you how a baby is made and where does it come out?

I stutter every time he's asked and each time I end up telling him to ask me later,lol. I just don't know how to word it and what is appropriate knoledge for him to have about it at this age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he keeps asking, then he must know some part of it. I am sure they have talked about it at school, maybe not in class, but his friends likely have.
    I agree about getting him a book. When I was pregnant with my second baby, my oldest wanted to know about the how and why babies are born. He was seven. We bought the book "Where Did I Come From", there were parts that were uncomfortable for him, but should be perfectly fine for a ten year old. We brought the book home and left it out for a couple of days for him to look at, then I asked him if he would like to read it with me. I read it and helped him through the tougher spots, when it came to the sex part, he was too embarrassed for me to read it, so I skipped that part and moved to the next part of the book. Then I let him have the book. When he was ready he read it himself.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• By 10 he shouldh ave a basic knowledge of anatomy. If you can't verbalize it, you may look into getting him a book that's age appropriate and both of you sit down to look it over. That way he knows that you are open to discuss it even if you have problems saying it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my niece just asked me this yesterday! i told her to ask her mommy. then i told her to ask her mommy how the baby gets in there too!
    my kids are younger, but my 6 year old knows a sperm comes from daddy, and an egg comes from mommy. they come together, and make a baby...part mommy and part daddy.
    i have home births, so the kids are in the house when the babies are born.
    they know the baby comes out of the mamas vagina.
    my 6 year old cut my newborn's cord a few weeks ago!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It was good for him. You should go to Barnes and Noble and read a copy of it yourself and see if it is compatable to what you want him to know.
    Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

• 10 is plenty old enough to find out. He should be sat down and have it all explained. He should have already had minor talks...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't word it any other way than it's supposed to be worded. Tell him the truth. At 10 he's plenty old enough to know.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• The man's sperm fertilizes the woman's egg and when ready the baby comes out the vagina. That simple.
    Anonymous

• by this age, especially if in public/private/christian school, he has already been exposed (and likely misinformed) to the mechanics of sex. He should have been told long ago, and now needs to be sat down and spoken with very frankly about the biological functions of our bodies. Full disclosure is necessary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would find a good educational video on the subject and show him a book. I would make sure he knows exactly how it's made so there is no confusion. I think trying to make it seem silly or cute is irresponsible.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I had asked my mom when i was like 8 where they came from.She said the daddy has sperm and the mommy has eggs and they join and the baby is formed in the mommies tummy. I never thought twice about it. Until just before my tenth birthday, when i saw 2 of our horses breeding. I was not traumatized by how the sperm got there. I just remember asking if it hurt. And my mom said no. And then 11 months later, i watch said horse give birth. That wasnt traumatizing either. Although when i asked mom if this hurt she said yes, very badly, but she will be ok. Its all a part of life. We are meant to do it, and you forget the hurt after its over :) She never sugar coated anything. lol. And thats how i plan to be with my son. Although im positive he will see horses breeding by the time hes ten. They breed every spring every year. And its not something you can miss :) lol.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2010