DD is screaming and crying because she has to go down for a nap...what do I do???

She's 3 do I let her cry it out or what? I've told her that if she screams, I will close the door. So she just did, I closed the door but she keeps getting up. Do I keep putting her down without looking/talking to her?
I'm at a loss...I feel like, even going in there to put her down is giving her attention that's feeding her getting back up.
Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we do quiet time sometimes too. i'll offer to read her a couple stories then have her watch a quieter movie (she loves walle) and lay down. she doesnt always go to sleep but she rests some and usually is in a better mood after.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• may be time to stop taking a nap. some 3 yr olds dont. mine does sometimes but not every day.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• ARe you sure that she really needs a nap? She is getting to the age where they aren't needed. We changed from naps to quiet time. DD is 3 as well and I allow her to watch a movie as long as she lays on the couch and is quiet. If she gets up, she has to go to her bed. Usually 1/2 way thru, she is out anyway but there's no fighting about it anymore.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Tell her she has to lay quitely for the duration of nap time if she sleeps fine, if not fine, ----between you and me, she will lay down and fall alsleep she sounds tired.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• OP-mine doesn't take one everyday either, but she went to bed last night at 12 because she took a 6:30pm snoozer...and would not lay down and fall asleep til then. We had this fight last night. Now she's been crying all morning, having tantrums, rubbing her eyes and "cuddling" in her blanket like she's tired. So I told her she was having a nap. I don't want her to get used to me laying down with her, and I need to get some stuff done wether she's down or not. I've already committed to her taking a nap (by telling her).
    Anonymous

• Since you have committed to it, how about putting a clock in her room and telling her when the hand gets to the sticker (put a sticker on 12 when the minute hand is on 1 so that gives you at least 55 minutes) once it gets there, nap time is over. Maybe she will get so tired of watching the clock, she will fall asleep. Then in the future, I'd try quiet time instead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2010