Terrified to cook for SO

My ex husband always used to critisize my cooking. How he could do it better or how it always tasted 'funny'. I am not really good at improvising so I am somewhat shy about cooking (it doesn't help that I don't like to cook anyway but DD needs to eat home cooked food). So, I have yet to cook for SO. He is a great cook and I know that he won't complain but I can't get past the anxiety of it. Help!

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Since he's a good cook too...why don't you guys try to plan to make a couple meals together,get a sense of his style of cooking, have a few laughs and a good time and you may learn something too! You both could bring some new ideas to the table by working together. My dh used to be a chef, so I get anxious when I cook fo rhim sometimes...well, not so much anymore,lol. But he we've cooked together a lot and incoorporated our ideas and he's taught me lots of cooking tricks and tips and I like to think that I've taught him a thing or two too.
    Everything I make isn't always perfect..especially when I'm trying something new...but we both enjoy trying new recipes all the time..some our bound not to be so great or just need an adjustment the next time we make it.
    Have fun with it and remind yourself its not the end of the world if something doesnt come out quite right and keep plenty of lunch meat and bread handy..just in case,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Even if it's something that I am great at cooking, I am still hung up on cooking it for him.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• just jump in the kitchen and get to it! don't let someone from your past into your future. that's why he is there. you can do it. just keep telling yourself that.
    Anonymous

• I'm trying. So far, I've lucked out and he's always cooked cause we are at his house around dinner but I know soon we will be at my house and then times up. Thansk for the support!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Carefully follow recipes until you feel more confident.

Answer by Bmat at 1:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I went through this on Thanksgiving b/c my ex cooked the bird and told me I could never cook one as good as him. LOl,,,now that Im single, I have cooked many turkeys and the kids ate it up, I have even brined a turkey! Have so teach you some of his receipes and relax, he isnt the same guy.
    Anonymous

• Read up some cook books, you could also explain to your SO that you're not much of a cook. My cousin can't cook to save her life - so her husband is the cook in the family.
    Anonymous

• I was not a good cook and I always had the guys cook for me and teach me how to do it "right" if they had a problem with what I fixed.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Why do you need to be a good cook? If he is good let him cook. A close friend is terrible in the kitchen. But her husband is fabulous.Just be honest with him. Better than setting off the fire alarm or poisoning him. I am sure you have many other positive qualities to bring to the relationship.
    Anonymous