what would you do?

My daughter is 16 months. She tells me "poo" before she poops in her diaper (then goes to a special spot in the living room, behind the couch), she pauses and tells me "poo" while she's peeing (I'll check her right after sometimes and can tell she just wet). After she uses her diaper, she brings me a new diaper. She has been dry after some very long naps, and I know she's sufficiently hydrated. She likes sitting on the potty and has used it both for pee and poop if we have sat her there at the right times. She watches her older brother use the potty and then says, "poo... me!" and wants to sit after that. Ready to train, right? I know she's young, but to me that seems like ready (my son trained right around 2, I never would have thought of starting sooner). I'm thinking of putting her in underwear and hunkering down. It's also a good time for it, I'm not working this summer. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i say go for it. it sounds like she will catch on pretty well and be excited about it. you might try getting her her own little potty and putting it behind the couch for a while even. it sounds weird but may help her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I say yes - go for it. Wish it had been that easy for my second child. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I say get that girl in underwear. She absolutely sounds ready. It could take a little while since she will be managing a lot of different things for such a little person, but it sounds like you have the time... We started with my second right around that age. She got really far, really fast, then had some setbacks, but she was trained and using the potty by herself by 20-21 months. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If she's doing all that, then no, she is not too young. The only drawback you'll have potty-training this early is finding panties to fit her - but don't let that stop you!
    Anonymous

• she sounds ready to me, I am going to start my 18 month old this weekend because she does the same thing LOL so it will be fun to see her progress. Her sister tooke me two years to potty train so I am hoping Alivia is a little quicker LOL.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My daughter was seventeen months. So, if she is showing signs of training. Go for it. It's not to early if your child demonstrates the desire to do so. In fact, it makes it a whole lot easier. You still have to be patient with her since this is all new and may take some time to get the hang of it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010