Is this abuse?

The child is 3
Slapping hands when touching things she shouldnt touch, flicking in the mouth when she spits at her mother or baby sister. Spanking. She pushed the fan over onto her 6 month old sister when told not to so her mother punched her in the arm. She pushed her baby sister off the couch so her mom kicked her. ( i dont think it was hard?) She gets screamed at almost daily. All of this by her mom.
Now about the little girl. Ive never seen such a naughty kid. Shes soo good for other people, but once shes around her mom or dad shes AWFUL. Screaming tantrums, doesnt listen, screams AT her parents. I know her mom loves her, but I think she just has a hard time dealing with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like there are discipline issues at home... kids know what they can get away with and with who.. but yes, punching and kicking is not discipline, it is abuse
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• well even if the child is being a brat she doesn't deserved to get punched and kicked. I am a firm believer in spanking but I would never kick my kid or punch them in the arm. I also think you should tailor the punishments to fit you kids. It sounds like spanking her isn't a good punishment so her mother should try something else like time out. It sounds as if she is learning that it is ok to hit if you are upset since her mother yells and hits her.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• First to answer your question the punching and kicking is abuse.
    Also it may be to get attention. How do the parents treat her when she is being well behaved do they ignore her? If so she she is probably acting up to get attention because to a child bad attention is better than none at all.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I want to add that the mom needs to get some help and it may be time to switch gears and learn a new discipline technique. Award her when she is being good and time outs when she is bad. Symle is right she is hitting others because she is learning that mommy does it so it is okay. I also agree with Peanutsmommy too that kids know what they can get away with and with who so if her parents use to let her do whatever and now are disciplining her things that use to be okay then she is going to be confused and not listen.

mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I believe this is abuse. And this is coming from a mother who spanks. But there IS A RIGHT AND WRONG way to do it.

Never kicking a punching, that is loosing your cool.

Spanking should be done when a child understands what they should do, and refuses to do it. And it should be done in calmness and TEACHING should go along with it! ALWAYS!

You cant just spank and expect a kid to learn, you have to teach and show them how to behave.

The spanking, IMO, is for reprimanding of a wrong behavior and for an enforcement of who is actually in charge. Teaching should go along with that or nothing is accomplished.

Your friend is taking it way to far!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• yes...she is kind of ignored when she is being good. The behavior started when her mother was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Swatting her hand when she is touching something she shouldn't is one thing, punching her in the arm and kicking her is another. That is abuse.
    Anonymous