Moms of two kids (or more)

How do you keep your older child in activities (like ballet or music class) when you also have a little baby to tend to? How do YOU make it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right now my four year old does ballet. Every monday I take her and my 18 month old do the dance studio for 1 1/2 hours while they practice. I take a couple toys for the baby and let her play on the floor. During the winter classes the parents are asked to leave the area so both rooms can focus but until then I just keep baby happy. When the new baby gets here I will do the same thing. You just do what you gotta do.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• As of right now, I have a 10 year old and a 16 month old and another one on the way. My 10 year old is always in some type of sport or activity. Right now he's on a baseball team. He has about 2 games per week. We just take our daughter with us, she has fun. She gets excited when everyone starts clapping and stuff and she likes to watch the games. The season before this one, he was in basketball and she really loved that. I think shes going to grow up to be a sports fanatic,lol. If she started to get tired or cranky either myself or her dad would walk her around. If she was not feeling well or something, either I would take my son to his games/practice or my dh would and the other would stay home with the little one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• bump

mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We haven't faced that particular issue yet, because ours are only 15 months apart, the oldest is now 3. But early on, when the little one wanted to do things like play at the park and the children's museum, the little one got to be close to mommy in the moby wrap. It freed up my hands for some toddler chasing. What you're talking about, I'm assuming, is things like naps, feedings, etc. I think it just has to be a balance between your family accommodating the baby, and baby accommodating the family's needs. I have seen already how adaptable that second baby can be (everything revolved around our first when she was an only child). But the big girl has to adapt, too. So baby might have to nap a little more on the go, but it may not be possible to do a major activity every day. You can also try to find someone to carpool with for those older child activities... assuming your older child is old enough...
    Anonymous

• I just do it, I guess. I drag my other 3 around to my 13 yr olds sports. The younger three are 5 (almost 6), 3 1/2, and 14 months. I pack a lot of food and drinks and they have managed to make friends with other little siblings. It can be a pain and isn't always easy but I don't want her to miss out on stuff just because she has little sisters.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my baby is now 2 and she is what I call on the go baby! Her sibling are 5 and 6 and have been in stuff since she was small we just run. Now she is 2 so not so bad but alot more hectic when she was an infant and 1. I do bring snacks, toys and whatever to help occuipy the kids not in that activitiy. AT 2 she is starting to be in some stuff like swim so that helps but she has always been really good when we run all around!
    Anonymous