stay at home mom getting custody of the kids

18 months ago i found out that my hubby was having an affair. i didnt leave right away, i wanted the marriage to work but its not working. i want to leave but i'm afraid that because i stay at home and wouldnt have any money if i left that i wont be able to provide for my kids. he has a place and car and good job $19 an hour. i would be making minimum wage, living with my parents and no car. would i have any chance of getting custody?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• First you need a good divorce lawyer. You can get alimony and child support and then you will more than capable of taking care of them and having your own place. First you need proof of his affair. And did the car get bought after you were married? If it did they can make him either give it to you or sale it and get half the money for it.
    Anonymous

• i have cellphone records of late night calls and time cards where he left work early then called her to go to her place. not sure if that is enough proof and yes the car was purchased after we were married. we've only beens married four years, can i get alimony? i thought that alimony was if you were married a lifetime
    Anonymous

• I myself have never been married, but I know several women who have gotten alimony after just a couple years. The phone records could be enough. Do you have any friends who know that he cheated, or anyone who would go to court with you to say they saw him with other women?
    Anonymous

• no, i don't have any friends who saw him with her. he would leave work early then go to her house and come home on time, as if he worked a full 8 hr shift. he works second shift. plus all of us were friends, so if someone did see them together then they probably just thought that they were hanging out. but they (DH and OW) never went out in public, always hooked up at her place at like 8 or 9 pm then he would come home at 11 like he worked a full shift. as for the money issue, i didn't notice he was clocking out early becuase he said that he was making less an hour than he actually was to make up for the time difference. he just started working there when he started messing around.
    Anonymous

• I'm in the same position too.
    Anonymous

• Prove he is cheating and get an at fault divorce. Get custody, alimony and child support payments. Get yourself a job also. An attorney can help you.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010