"The talk" when and how?

So my soon to be 7 year old is having these massive mood swings over little things. For example she was trying to put a fold in a piece of paper and when it wouldnt fold just right she literally curled up against the wall and started balling. Normally she is pretty stable with her moods, if she is gonna be whiny its all day not just one second laughing the next crying. I have no idea what triggered this pattern of behavior but its been going on for a few days. And a friend of mine just told me when our daughters were having a sleep over at their house the girls started a discussion about where babies come from and a few other nuggets of reproductive knowledge. I haven't had "The Talk" with her yet and I am at a loss of when I should and how to go about it! My parents never had the talk with me and Daddy is 1st of all completely uncomfortable with the idea & is gone for training for the summer.

Mrs.Mixon

Asked by Mrs.Mixon at 2:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont think it is one TALK. I think it starts when a child can talk and ends when the child gets married. LOL My son is 6.5 and knows how babies come out, knows sort of how they get in there, (not the whole 9 yards of that yet) How babies are fed (breastfeeding)

He understands about girls and boys being different. And I will continue to add onto his knowledge as he matures.

It think its a lifelong education process that needs to be guided by the parents. They cant see you sweat either! They need to know you are ok with talking about it....even if you are not!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Well here is what I have decided to do because I know my dd's personality and how she can handle things maturly. Ive told her certain things when she has asked, short and sweet. Ive told her about a womens period. I just dont want to throw it ALL on her. Im setting it up slowly. She is 8. She knows what a period is and she thinks sex is getting on top of each other, naked and kissing....LOL ***blushing*** I told her she was correct. Mostly Ive listened.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Oh she knows what some of her parts are like uterus, penis, and vagina. The other day her brother jumped on her and she yelled "Ow get off my uterus!!" LOL
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I have talked to my dd who is 8 1/2 basically we had some discussions about periods and such. I then got a book called its not hte stork. When she asked me questions I was ready and turned to the pages and read them to her and we discussed it a little. It will be an ongoing thing for sure.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Just answer the questions as she asks them. My girl is only 5 so she doesn't ask much, but I try to give her an honest answer with the correct terms for everything.
    Funny thing, she saw my mom changing the diaper of a boy she baby sits for and asked "what's that thing pointing up?" and mom just told her "it's his thingy" and changed the subject.
    Then, the next day, she saw a dog with his penis out and asked what it was, so I just told her it was his penis, that that's what boys have, and she has a vagina, different parts on boys and girls have different names. So, she says "We need to call Mamaw. She doesn't know it's a penis, she thinks it's a thingy", then calls my mom and informs her of it. So cute.
    It's best for them to know the basics before they are in school where they can ask friends about it and get bad information.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• With my nephew, my SIL let BIL do it, he gave him a book left him to read it, then went in and asked if he had any questions lol. He'd been asking about it, now he doesn't ask, doesn't talk about it lol. I think it kinda traumatized the poor kid, or atleast appalled him lol. He's 11 tho, so he's older, cause that book gave him all the details, pics included. My sons, have been fed knowledge at age appropriate levels, my 2, 3 and 6 year olds know how a baby get out, thanks in part to TLC lol. They know that daddy helped put the baby in there, but no details yet. They know about BF, and that's where some babys get their milk. My husband so kindly and sensitively compared it to a cow lol. Nice, right. But we add to their knowledge as they as at age appropriate levels.
    Jessica_5

Answer by Jessica_5 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• So far I've taken issues as they come: talked about puberty (mommy why do you have hair/boobies etc) and adult stuff etc.
    If you know that she's talking about it... I know there is a book (from the Netherlands I think) that was being discussed on CM at one point that was pretty simple but explicit...
    you'd be surprised what kids "know" and talk about.... my ds (6) asked me about blowjobs b/c an 7/8 yr. old girl had told him about it... he was shocked. But we do talk that sex is how babies come and that you have to really know, love a person, but still protect yourself and sex is for adults and for when you are ready to take care of a baby(although I have specified exactly how sex happens and what I mean about protection) I drop a nugget of info. or 2 and reinforce those parts I think are most imp.
    Anonymous