Is the name taken?

If you know someone with a name woudl you consider it taken? I like the name Kyle which is my cousins name so is it off limits for me to use? Just wondering if you consider names off limits if another family member is named that. Where is the line..neice, cousin, aunt, uncle, friend, friends child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• it depends on how close you are to them

I love the name Noah, but is the name of a close friends son, so we considered it off limits
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It depends on how close you are to the family. And how they would take it, some people would consider it an honor, others would consider it "stealing" a name. LOL.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I wouldnt name my child the same name as someone who we are going to be around a lot and I personally wouldn't use a name of someone close to us. But just because you know someone with the name doesn't mean it is off limits. You can name your child whatever you want to.
    Anonymous

• I had a hard time with this. I didn't want to name my kid after many of the people I knew. It seemed every name my husband came up with, I knew someone with it at some point growing up. And I didn't like most of them.
    As for family, yeah, it's taken. Some of us even call dibs on a name when one of us gets pregnant!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• i wouldnt name my child a name of a family member unless it was after that person. but friends and their kids, i wouldnt consider it off limits unless they were a close friend.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• For me it would really depend on how close i am to the person and also how unusual the name. If my friend's kid is named Sarah but i LOVE the name Sarah I will go for it. (I May discuss with her first). But i have a friend whose son is named Jute. I would feel weird about using that name because it is very unique to them and their family.
    I wouldn't be opposed to using the same name for my kid as one of my cousins used but I wouldn't use the same as my sister did.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• How about using it as a middle name. That's what we did.
    Sasha51

Answer by Sasha51 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2010