How can I help my kids learn to sleep on their own?

I have a 4 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old. We have been battling at nap and bedtime. I am feeling like I need to let my 4 y.o. give up afternoon naps and maybe just take a rest time, but my 2 1/2 y.o. desperately needs sleep still and he fights it really bad. We have always stayed with the kids until they fell asleep and that was never an issue until recently. Now, my 2 1/2 y.o. talks and plays and screws around not falling asleep for a really long time. (Over an hour sometimes.) I can't spend that long just sitting in his room. It doesn't allow me to tend to the other kids when I need to. If I leave him in his room, he gets out of bed and plays. I need some advice. I don't know what to do! I am losing my patience and feeling so frustrated.

resmith81

Asked by resmith81 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, make his "nap time" more like quiet time and allow him to play and give a time limit. My -2-1/2 year old recently stopped taking naps because he was doing the same thing.. Some kids just don't need them as long as others, but they still need down time for them to relax -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my 2 yo dd still takes nap on occasion...but for the most part, i always have her watch icarly or shrek, so she can have time to relax and lay down...and usually can get my stuff done that way, and sometimes she'll fall asleep, and other times she wont. i'm with maxsmom, make his nap time more like quiet time...good luck..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my wee one's are 2-4 year's apart I went thru alot of trial and era and alot of great idea's came my way.. just a thought make it quite it time for one and all.I had to put all 3 in separate room's one got to have her book #2 got her sketch pad and pencil's #3 got his favorite movie which was car's and a timer set for 45 minute's in each room and they had to stay in one spot till the timer went of and I went and got them!! Hope you find something that help's
    autumrose13

Answer by autumrose13 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Okay. so my 4 year old actually takes occasional naps ( like once a month) but goes to bed at a decent time so I cant complain. As far as getting your kids to go to sleep, the first thing you need to do is stay out of the room, I know its hard but trust me, its for the best. Instead start a routine to help hem wind down before bed. like dinner, warm bath, story time, then maybe lay them down for one more story, leave the room with the door cracked. Itll take some time to get them used to no toys, but they DO understand, and sometimes if they know they can push you they will. Good luck to you!!
    ReReJohnson

Answer by ReReJohnson at 5:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2010