Is it okay for my 5 yr old to play with these kids?

I live a block from the school and there is a group of kids that are there every day. They have teenagers watching them. I'm not sure what the program is called but it is meant for parents who work and the kids have a safe place to be all day until they. kinda like a daycare at school.
there are alot of kids there and they are in every age group.
is it okay to bring my son there and have him play with the kids while I watch over him?
or would I be intruding? afterall these parents are paying for their kids to play there all day and be supervised.
I'm not paying but I'm watching my own kid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ask a staffer-I know that at our school they do not allow other children on the playground when the childcare is in session on the playground. I would think if they are at a public or neighborhood park it would not be an issue. Most people that work with kids love kids and would be very welcoming to your child if its not against their policy.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• you could ask them and technically wouldn't that just be your child playing with other kids at a park? I don't see why you would even need to ask.
    Anonymous

• he might not be allowed to play with the kids unless he is in the program. ask someone who works there.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 3:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think this is probably a city run program. You can ask, but I think your child needs to be in the program b/c of insurance reasons. My kids where in a summer program run through the city, and I had to sign release forms and stuff. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• yep, I was going to site the liability thing as well. I would ask a staffer
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It sounds like a YMCA thing and no you should definately not assume those teens are good influences and safe without asking lots of questions. Even if they seemed great, I would not leave my children with teens I did not know very well.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• op here...I didn't think about a liability thing but my son has nobody to play with so it would be mean for me to bring him there and say to him he can't play with those kids...so he would be stuck just watching them have fun....sounds like we would be better off playing at home.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like the YMCA program at our school-and they do not allow other kids even if you are watching your own in. You would have to ask the program director.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 4:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would ask a staffer... it sounds like a camp/YMCA thing and could be a liability issue.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you have to wait until their program is over. I've worked at many schools with programs like that and other kids weren't allowed to play on campus after school unless they were in those programs.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2010