How do you deal with family business relationships?

My sister married someone from another part of the country and lived there for close to 15 years. In the past year her family moved to the area where we grew up. Her husband has been my BIL for a long time, but due to where they lived I don't really know him, and I'm not that close to her anymore either. My husband sees both of them as strangers. She and her husband have decided to jump into the middle of the family business and make decisions about things neither of them has any experience with or understands, and it is causing problems. Her husband has offended bussiness associates, and my husband has spent many hours mending those fences. My BIL grew up in a very different area of the country, and his morals/ethics are not inline with ours. My dad won't say anything because he is just so happy that my sister is "home" again, but my husband doesn't want to be involved with my BIL and his questionable ethics. Cont'd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• First adress BIL privatly. If things do not change bring in a group meeting.

Take things slow. But do not jeprodize your standing in the business community with BIL's bad business. If it comes to that, sell.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• My husband would just pull out of the business and sale his share, but it would hurt my dad a lot. My dad is in very poor health, and he relies on my husband and thinks of him as a son. How do we protcet ourselves from BIL's business ethics without causing major drama?
    Anonymous

• Be frank and tell him how you feel about his business ethics/morals and how it's affecting the business. Tell him in a subtle way why he can't appear out of the blue and ruin what others have suffered for years to build.
    joysweet

Answer by joysweet at 4:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010