How did the "Jews" get to be Gods chosen people in the bible?

I thought Moses was Hebrew. Does this have something to do with exiles?

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 3:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it had to do with God's promise to Abraham, that it would be through his children that all the world would be blessed.: “By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.” (Ge 22:18) Jesus was the seed that came through that line and God sectioned off those of Abraham's offspring to hold that blood-line intact.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Hebrew is a language. It happens to be the language the old testament and the Torah were written in.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• This would be a great question for John Fisher the elder at my assembly. Elder meaning he is an older man who is respected by the congregation, but he is an equal brother of the faith. He has so much wisdom in this area. He really knows his stuff! Here is a link to ask him. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• The Jews aren't the chosen people.Israel is.Israel and Hebrews aren't "Jews".
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure I understand your use of quotation marks around the word Jews. Read Genesis. G-d approached Abraham and Abraham accepted the covenant. That is what is meant by the term 'the chosen people.' We accepted G-d's covenant and have maintained it for 5770 years.

BTW - Much of the early writings were in Aramaic. Hebrew comes from Aramaic.

I have no idea what anonymous means above. The ancient Hebrews were the Jewish people.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

This makes no sense and is contradictory.

it had to do with God's promise to Abraham, that it would be through his children that all the world would be blessed.: “By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.” (Ge 22:18) Jesus was the seed that came through that line and God sectioned off those of Abraham's offspring to hold that blood-line intact.

I do think I agree with this. However, I don't understand that translation. "will certainly bless themselves"? My Bible says that GOD will bless them.

Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 7:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• This may help, or this. Blessings...

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Laura2U: (Ge 22:18) “By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.”*

here's the footnote *“Will certainly bless themselves.” The Heb. verb is in the reflexive, or hith‧pa‧ʽel′ form, and so differs from the same verb in the niph′ʽal form in 12:3b, which at times has the passive meaning but more frequently has the reflexive meaning as it is rendered there. LXXSyVg, “will be blessed,” the same as in 12:3b. Compare De 29:19.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Because some leader or prophet got fed up with the Israelites always being the underdog in war, sold into slavery every time they turned around and made the CLAIM that god had chosen them to be his people. Primatives being gullible, the Israelites believed him. And it is my understanding that Jews are from a tribe of Israelites (There were twelve tribes I believe) and that Hebrew is a language as is Aramaic (the language that Jesus--who WAS a Jew--spoke).
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• he made a covenant with them
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010