What are the signs of gluten allergy?

My 21 month old is ALWAYS cranky and crying. He eats a limited amount of foods (not for lack of effort on my part), all of it contains gluten. His dad has food allergies. Could he be allergic and causing him stomache pain? Also, he get very painful gas.

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 3:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you suspect gluten is the culprit it could be a number of things....wheat allergy, gluten intolerance or Celiac disease. I'd go to an allergist to have him prick tested or you could start with the blood screening. Just make sure to ask them to also do the blood test for Celiac. Celiac is not an allergy so an allergist might not automatically add it to order for the blood draw. Allergies and Celiac are both genetic. Gastrointestinal upset and crankiness can be a sign of an allergy, intolerance or Celiac. Symptoms really can vary widely from kid to kid. (By the way, I have Celiac and food allergies to eggs and corn and I've kept my kids on a gluten free diet until they are old enough to tell me how they are feeling specifically. Hopefully they won't have it. My older son already has some food allergies.) Also, some kids with Celiac have growth probs, skin rash, diarrhea, constipation or many other symptoms. Not always though
    Anya22

Answer by Anya22 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010