I just noticed my 26-month old son's ankles turn inward toward the floor when he walks, the left more than the right. Should I worry about this as much as I am?

My MIL says that a number of kids in my husband's family have had this problem and they used corrective shoes (??) to fix it. My little guy was a late walker, just started in March. He doesn't seem pigeon-toed. His left ankle sometimes looks like it is almost going to touch the floor. He has a well-baby check coming up in July and I don't know if I should just wait until then to mention it to his pediatrician or not. Most everyone I have talked to seems to think it'll be okay. I just don't want him ending up with serious leg and ankle problems. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

daisydog316

Asked by daisydog316 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Health

• I don't know how old your little guy is but seems to me the sooner the better. Before his bones get real hard. Sometimes bones need to be medically broken to set them straight. The younger they are the easier it is for them to set it.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Does he have flat feet? I do and so does my son. They gave my mom hard ugly shoes for me and she didn't make me wear them. LOL My feet are ok. My son has no issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• at your next well visit bring up with walking. Your doctor will probably ask you to have him demonstrate. If they see it as a problem they will either refer you to a specialist or a place where you can get correct shoes. I had them when i was a baby (from 9 months until 16 or 18 months). They aren't painful and will just help to correct the position of the ankle and foot. Similar to back braces for some people with scoliosis. (sp?)

however you can help as well at home.. when you baby is napping you can massage the area into a straighter position and hold it while massaging. Sometimes that's all that is needed to correct the problem (as was the case with my DD).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• What you are describing is called "pronation". There is much information on the internet about this condition. I would suggest you read some articles and educate yourself about the condition and different treatments. Then, when you go to your son's check-up in July, you can ask the doctor some specific questions about what should be done.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Being it up at your well baby check. They can make special inserts for his shoes to realign his feet & ankles.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2010