What is good to pack in my daughters lunch

Hi to everyone I posted this earlier but did not let everyone know my daughter is handicapped she is 17 but was born with Downes's Syndrome and she goes to her community services program on Thursdays has been in the program since September she would go to school half a day then Ashley would pick her up.

Now she gets picked up here at home starting today and they last several weeks have been going to the park here lately last several weeks and it has been hot here
last few weeks just aksing what was good to pack and how to keep her drinks cold thanks again to all

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would try to keep it healthy. Maybe a turkey sandwich with some lettuce and cheese and mayo and some baked chips and a fruit. Maybe a cookie for a treat.
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• A great way to keep her lunch and her drinks cold at the same time, is to freeze the drinks. If you have bottled drinks like water, pour a little off and freeze it ....pack it frozen i her lunch, and by lunch time it will have melted, and it will have kept whatever else is in her lunchbag cold. My mom used to do this when I was younger. (water bottles)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Things to pack that would be good : PBJ's, tortilla wraps, meat and cheese, meat/cheese and crackers(also known as the "lunchable" but you put together the stuff yourself). Granola bars, homemade tortilla chips, homemade cookies, crackers, pretzles, cheeze puffs, fruit cups, homemade fruit leather, nuts, trail mix (with or without the m&m's).....
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Hi, I have a 15 y/o w/disabilities, so I know where you're coming from. Does the lunch packaging need to be totally tossable when she's finished with it or can you use an insulated lunch carrier & containers? If it all needs to be tossable after use, then for drinks you could get any type of juice box or pouch or water bottles and freeze them overnight, then wrap them in foil when you pack her lunch. The drink should be defrosted by the time she's ready for it & it will function as a cold pack to keep the rest of her lunch cold. For meals, any kind of sandwich is good, then add pre-cut fresh fruits &/or veggies, something sweet and/or a salty snack (like chips or pretzels). Pre-packaged fruit cups, applesauce, gelatin and puddings are good (& often don't require refrigeration) and you can get snack size packs of cookies, crackers, cheese and more (although packing your own is cheaper)........cont. below.....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If she can take a thermos, you can use a wide-mouthed thermos jar and pack chicken nuggets, spaghetti, soup, or other hot foods that taste okay if they're only warm instead of piping hot. You can get very creative when you can use insulated containers.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2010