Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid do i apply for college....

I cannot find a job, my unemployment ran out & they say that i don't qualify for the first tier (extended benefits). I really want to go to college to study education & be a teacher. I have my GED, I'm thinking i'd have to start at a community college.

Do i apply for financial aid first? Or do i apply to the college first? I look online for info, but i feel like i just get the run around, or the information given is just not that helpful. So, i thought i'd ask here. It seems that there are a lot of college educated women on here who could help me. Thanks!!!


Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • FASFA form online it every year as soon as you do your tax return. It may be too late to do it for the 2010 fall and 2011 spring will need to check the dates.
    Apply to whatever schools you want. If they don't have the application online, then you'll need to go to the school and go to "Admissions" and ask/fill one out.
    Go to financial aid at these colleges as well and ask about other options for tuition help. Some have different programs etc..
    Then ask where they post their student/school jobs! :)

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • you have to apply to a college first

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • To apply for financial aid you start by filling out the FAFSA form online.

    Answer by jamesmommy512 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • you can actually apply at the same time, the financial aid just won't pay out until the college has you fully registered and enrolled. financial aid, for the college application you just go to the school's admissions office or apply online on their website.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Go to the college you want to apply to and fill out the application. It would probably be good to call and find out what you need to bring to apply. At the college I went to you had to have some proof of state residency and the application required your car's license plate info, there was also a fee. You will need to have a copy of your high school transcripts sent to the school and a copy of your GED sent to them too.
    It is best to call the registrars office and they can tell you exactly what you need.
    Good Luck and have a great time in college. I did even though I was a non trad student.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Go to your community college's website and it will have a section for admissions 9 times out of 10 you can apply online. We have a Texas common application here. Then go to FAFSA and apply for financial aide. If you have dependents, chances are most of the money you receive will be in the form of grants which you don't have to pay back. You can also get a job through the college while you're going to school GL

    Answer by lowencope at 3:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Actually you can do it whichever way you want but it's easier if you at least narrow down some colleges you are interested in so you can tell them at That way they can send the info to the colleges. You don't have to be admitted to put them down as possible places you want to go. Meanwhile check out the colleges that offer programs you are interested in. The first two years (if you are going to transfer to a 4 yr college) are normally basic ed anyway (english, math, science, history, etc).

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • it's not a stupid question. I bet a lot of people want to know the answer to that question. My dd can't find a job, went back to school and the grant money is supplementing her bf's income so they can live! Not a fortune but it sure helps out with gas and insurance on the car so she can drive to school. She's taking some classes online so that helps but every dime coming in helps. Good luck on this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • Plan to spend the entire day at the school. Fill out your application there and speak with a student advisor about which classes to take. If you have any technical schools in your area, try there first as they are often cheaper than community colleges. You can generally do two years there and then transfer. Fill out your FAFSA before you make your appt to the school and submit it. As I said, plan to spend the entire day at the school. When you go, also bring in EVERY tax form you have. The FAFSA doesn't say it, but the school sometimes needs your forms to verify your income and you will have to sign a signature page, etc... You may also have to take a placement test that same day so the college knows what levels your English and math skills are at for class placement. You will also usually need an application fee. Make sure you follow up with financial aid to make sure there are no issues. As long as...contd

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

  • your financial aid has gone through to the school, they will usually put a "do not purge" note on your classes even if you haven't received your award letter yet. They may even go ahead and give your vouchers for your books. PLEASE check in as many times as necessary because they get really busy and sometimes there is a problem and you won't know until you're already purged out of your classes! I have had this happen twice and both times it was too late to get back in them, so last time I had to keep going back to the school to work out issues and it finally landed me in my classes. If you have any questions you can PM me because I just went through all this and it IS a headache but so worth it.

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2010