Do your kids do school work during the summer?

Do you work on certain academic areas with them, do they go to summer school, or do they have time off free from studying ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do a little, not hardcore, but, some things. He also reads alot, that is of his own doing though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My son's school requires the kids to read an assigned book for each grade. This year he has to read "A Wrinkle In Time". This school also offers the kids a chance to go up a level in math. The kids get a text book and work book and it is up to the family to do the work. If after the summer they pass the required class they can move up to the next class in math.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• my son goes to summer school and he does math and reading at home-his choice,he loves to learn!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• No, I don't. My boys are both in the highly capable/gifted program and are already accepted for next year too, and they both read a lot over the summer, but no we do not do "school work". However with my daughter, we might because she's not quite up to the capabilities that her brothers were at that age, and I don't want her to be behind when she goes into first grade. So we might work a little bit with her.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My kids color, draw, count money up so that they can go to the pool, ask me what time i get off of work so that they can keep up with when they are coming back home to nag me. They read a list of chores that i leave for them to clean and they write letters to their gmama. They keep up with what is divided between the 2 of them so the other doesnt get more. They remember how much money they have spent and how much they have so that i dont take any and put it in gas. They also try to memorize locations so that i cant trick them about saying that i dont know where the park is at anymore. So if that counts as school work during the summer then i would say yes.---Also they play teacher with their dolls
    kina803

Answer by kina803 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We're going to be working on printing and small motor skills with my son (he has a learning disability and this area is hard for him... I don't want him to lose the gains he has made working with an OT last year through lack of practice.) And we are going to learn some words in French with my middle child since she will be starting French Immersion in grade one (my son is already in that program and he is doing more to teach her basics than we are!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I homeschool, and we do a little schoolwork in the summer so that I don't have to spend the whole month of September reviewing. They just do a little math a couple mornings a week, maybe a Mad Lib ( that covers grammar, reading, spelling and penmanship) and they read 20 minutes every day. They've been earning money to go to camp, so that counts as math, and sometimes we cook or bake together, so that's also math. They found a robin's egg that was hatched in the backyard the other day, and since we weren't sure it WAS a robin's egg, we looked it up to see. That's science right there.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Nope. I am a teacher. They didn't (the one still in high school doesn't) and I don't. We all need the break. That is what vacation is for. We take the break and give our brains time to recharge. The only thing I did was get AR books for them to read if they had a reading requirement. I also got AR books to take in the RV on trips. They were going to read anyway. Why not get a few books ahead for the required tests. Otherwise - no.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We homeschool... so yes they are doing "school" work. We are homeschooling all year..... It's not as "heavy" as say in the "traditional" school months, but it is still work.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We home school too so we do work in the summer. I think that way kids don't get rusty on their skills.We are also sure to enjoy the season.
    Anonymous