Have you ever been in a tornado?

Have you ever been in a tornado? Where were you taking protection? We dont have a basement and its hard for me to believe if you dont have a basement youll survive. Of course if youve been watching they weather channel i live in mn and as you can tell am pretty worried. I dont have a basement or storm shelter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• We go into an interior closet and bring pillows. That is all we have done when the siren went off.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We don't have those things either...we have to use our bedroom closet. They say if you have time, to put a mattress in front of the closet or slanted over your heads. weatherchannel.com has some great tips for tornado safety, severe weather, etc...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• My family slept right through it - fortunately it skipped our house! But it hit my husband's house while they were all sleeping too - blew their windows out, picked up the roof and slammed it back down on the house, picked up his sister and threw her across the room blowing her bed on top of her. They all survived, but their house was condemned - they had to bulldoze it and start over.

We don't live in a tornado prone area - Raleigh NC, so it was a little unexpected and we don't have sirens.

Answer by missanc at 4:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• In 1989 I was visiting family in Mobile Al, they moved from Maine for a work contract, and were living in a trailer for the 6mo of the contract... My aunt had her baby boy a month early, so we traveled down to help out. 2nd week there a massive front hit, and took 1/2 of the trailer park (it was actually more like a neighborhood, on streets, not all lined up)... I remember everyone screaming, and running into the bathroom. I don't think it would have helped. A lot of debris got hurled at us, and the windows were damaged, along with the roof, and more than 1/2 of the foundation piers- I just stood at the door and watched, it was incredible.
    Obviously the storm didn't take up, but it did do major damage, and gave me a whole new respect for mother nature!

My sis now lives in KC, MO... And it's something they have to worry about almost constantly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• *tornado born from a massive front
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If you don't have a basement or a center to go to (some places have storm places to go to)you need to go to a place with no windows usually that is an inside bathroom in the center of the house. Cover yourselves in the tub with as many pillows and mattresses as you can manage that quickly . I've heard of some people even using the center bedroom's closet and it protected them. obviously anything you do is better than nothing . If the tornado is nearby the best thing to do is to tuck and cover and don't look. Flying debris and such is no place to have an open face to hit. I've been in 2 tornadoes one was in school in 3rd grade and we were all in the hallways and tucked/covered heads and no one was harmed thank goodness. and the second one just went down the street not touching anything and then taking back off for the farms.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• missanc, I think I was in that same tornado. The 1988 one right? My mom grew up in the midwest so she knew the sound of a tornado. I was already awake because the storm had woken me up and scared me (I was only 7), and as soon a she heard the tell-tale sound of the tornado she herded us into our half bath under the stairs. We got very lucky because that tornado tore up the neighborhoods around us.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• And if you are in a mobile home....just go get in a ditch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I live in AR. Tornado central. Just last month one came through and tore up a bunch of trees and ate our camper. Like all the others said, central room, no windows, drag a matress over your head.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• @lstrickland: where in Arkansas. I grew up there.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2010