Do you believe that your average couple will never be "financially ready" for another child?

I'm talking about your average "make enough to get by and maybe a little extra" family. If you don't have a lot of savings (or none at all), or you struggle from time to time with being able to pay bills, do you believe that it's anyone's business to tell you you're not smart for having more children? Or, to ask another way, do you believe that most people just learn how to budget a little better with each child they have? Of course, this is assuming that their financial situation doesn't change a lot.

Another question: What is the one thing (financially) that you believe is necessary to have before you can have children responsibly? If anything?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes i do believe that.. but i also believe that no matter how much money you save you may never be ready for a child.. so money shouldnt be the base of everything :)

i dont think its anyones business to tell you when or when not to have a child its your an your husbands/so. an yes learning to budget is one of the first things we learned when we had our son.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 4:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Yeah I kinda do believe that. I also think that you're priorities will change once you have a kid, or an additional kid- Maybe you won't eat out as much, or maybe you'll get a raise, or maybe you'll start buying 2nd hand clothes-- things like that. Medical bills aside, I doubt that children ever bankrupt parents.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do, more today than in the past few decades. I do have relatives that kinda flaunted that they "saved", bought a house, saved some more and were finacially sound to have their first. They repeated the process for the second. I don't think it is anyone's business but the couples.

And yes I think people learn to budget better when they have kids as priorities more around. The only thing I would think that would be responisbly sound would to have a job/ legal income.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think that when you tell people about your financial situation then you invite them to make such comments.
    Anonymous