How can I get past my daughters father mother putting her hands on me?

Help...I am in the process of trying to reconcile with my daughters father. I was in a situation were my partner always told his mom everything and kept she always had her nose in our business. Anyways long story short him and I were having issuses because he was never home and always at his mothers. Well he told her that I had a problem with this and she decided to confront me. At some point after she was done yelling and pushing up on me she decided to put her hands on me in violence with my 11 month old daughter(at the time) in my arms. It has been 6 months, I have wrote her a letter and tried to come to an understanding and have seen her in person a couple times and still she has said nothing. what to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• In all honesty, your MIL shouldn't be involved in your relationship with your DH and if your going to get back together, make sure that is very clear to him. Also, I wouldn't be able to get passed that either, regardless of the circumstances. Get back with your hubby and tell him you expect your relationship to stay between the two of you and your not going to be with him if he can't respect that. Being that MIL is family, you should be civil, but you don't have to be her friend. GL
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I feel like there are some important stuff missing... so I can't really say anything to help you.
    Was he mad at her that she laid her hands on you? Was he mad at you for retaliating in any way? What's going on?
    Is reconciling with your daughter's father have anything to do with this incident? :/
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• what exactly do you mean by "put her hands on me?" Abusively?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would have had her arrested. That's battery and it's illegal. It could also be considered domestic violence since she's in the "family". What were you wanting from her, an apology? I'm not understanding what you want. If my MIL (for lack of a better term) ever put her hands on me I would not give her a second chance at it. Your man should have handled that if the police didn't
    Anonymous

• Check the statutes of limitations for battery in your state. (you could call the criminal division of the courthouse or the prosecuting attorney's office and find out if you can't find it online) You still may be able to have her arrested if you want to
    Anonymous

• No I didnt touch her but i did yell back and yes she punched me several times. Yes he was mad at her but they are fine and acts if nothing ever happen. Yes I am having a very difficult time in the forgiving her process. He wants to get back together but I just dont know how to move past this situation. Should I just let it go or should I express to her even further about my concerns? I dont.know what to do
    RebeccasMomma

Answer by RebeccasMomma at 5:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It's been 6 months, if you really want to get back with the father of your child you are going to have to let the past stay there. (I would guess that her son wouldn't even consider a reconciliation if you threw mama in jail). That being said, I wouldn't ever be in a situation where she could get that close to you, never be alone with her; and I would stay away from her as much as possible. If part of the issue you had with this guy was his relationship with his mom, are you sure you want to reconnect with him? She sounds scary, and mama's boys don't usually change. What makes you think that you're not going to have the same issues again, KWIM?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Thanks so much for your help. I do want to be with him but at the same time I dont want to put my child in that situation again. We were really good and then he lost his job and then instead of being with me and his daughter he would always run to his mommy, and that is when the issues started. Really I want her to acknowledge what she did was wrong and to know that she just cant put her hands on anyone she feels like. This isnt her first offense, he was in a previous marriage and they separated over his mother placing her hands on the ex-wife also. Basically should I move on?
    RebeccasMomma

Answer by RebeccasMomma at 5:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010