My daughter finished her freshman year with a 1.9 GPA. Her major is Biology, and she wants to go to medical school.

I live in Brooklyn. My 18 year old daughter goes to college at Stony Brook, Upstate New York. She is now spending the summer at home with me. I want to know whether 1.9 GPA is good or bad. My daughter is happy with her grades, but told me that she could have done better. I am from Russia, so I don't know what GPA means.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in

• No, that's not good.4.0 is the best you can get - A average - 3.0 is a B - 2.0 is a C - so she's 1.9
    Anonymous

• A perfect GPA is a 4.0. With a 1.9, she isn't going to get into medical school - that translates into a "D" (using letter grades). Medical schools require at least a 3.0 (B), some even higher.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• 1.9 is not good and if she is in high school she is not getting into college with that. Med school has to be AT LEAST 2.5 but they want the GPA to 3.0 or better. She is going to have to try a local community college first to get her Grade Point Average (GPA) up.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• GPA = Grade Point Average, I'm sorry, forgot to put that in my response.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• She is failing. She has a below C average. She will need a 3.2 GPA or better to even be considered for medical school. She is not on a medical school path at all.

Medical school in the US costs about $200,000. If you cannot afford that, then she needs scholarships. Medical school is extremely competitive. There are very few scholarships available compared to the number of applicants.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Yeah a 1.9 is very bad. She will have to work hard to bring that up to get into medical school.. Sounds like she might need to talk to an adviser at school if she thinks a 1.9 is good and will get her in medical school.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• ugh that is failing.... how is she satisfied with her grade?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• lol 1.9 is really aweful.
    Anonymous

• A 1.9 as everyone has said is not that great. However, it is not too late. If she is serious about wanting to go to medical school she will need to buckle down now! In my freshman year of college, I had a 1.25. I had dropped a lot of classes and stopped attending many others without dropping. I took a few years off and when I went back I was serious. By the time I got my Associates degree, I had pulled my GPA back up to a 3.0. Her college may have something like a grade forgiveness on repeat classes. That is if she got a D in one class and she retook that class and got a B, then they would take the D out of her GPA count. Not all colleges do this though. Right now, she needs to sit down with someone (whether it be you or an advisorat school) and figure out what went wrong and what she needs to do about it. Have her make a Plan of Action and encourage her to stick with it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• GPA= grade point average. A 1.9 is awful, it is a D. A C is a 2.0 out of 4.0. She should NOT be happy with this GPA and it will cause a lot of issues. It will affect her financial aid and if she doesn't bring it up to atleast a 3.0 or higher she will NOT get into medical school. She needs to talk to her college advisor and get serious about school and her education, especially if she wants to go to medical school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2010