I disagree with my husbands discipine of our teens. .

When ever our kids do something wrong, my husband always puts the kids down emotionally than in a disciplinary manner. I bring this to his attention, but that doesn't go over too well. What to do?

meow1964

Asked by meow1964 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Counseling, parenting classes, parenting workshop, ect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• i would say emotional abuse is not the way to go. try grounding them or extra chores. especialy chores they particularly hate.
    Anonymous

• When a couple differs in discipline actions the only ones that suffer are the children, have a talk with him and get it straight.

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• What he is doing will have serious consequences down the road, and sometimes depending on how much damage is done it might be irreversible! Invite him to read this post. Jackie Jackson
    jackiejackson

Answer by jackiejackson at 7:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• He is emotionally abusing his kids and YOU need to stop him. The kids will have lasting consequences the rest of their lives if you continue to let him do this. I think it's time for FAMILY counseling and parenting classes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Counseling didn't work for us, but it might work for you.

I am leaving mine because he will never change, my kids come first.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I agree with anon 6:45. here on thios one. My uncle was the same way with his kids. and my aunt hated that so bad, and it wasn't so plesant hearing that either when I went to their place,hearing him say that to his kids. my unclew just did't understand why his kids could do what they were being told to do, or his kids being clumsy at doing something.When he talked down to his kids like that I almost cried myself, it was sad,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2010

• I have this same problem with my husband, and it doesn't matter how much I talk to him. Unfortunately his children have already started disrespecting him and have no interest in conversation with him other than sports. It hurts me a lot to see that they treat their father that way, but it frustrates me more that he can't see it. He does try to blame me, but I've tried a million times to help him learn different ways to deal with them, and I've had conversations with the boys about their father too and he just doesn't know.
    I'm not sure what the answer is, my counseling if he's willing to go, but if he can't see their is problem and feels he's justified you'll be wasting your money. One day when his children don't want to see him or talk him maybe he'll see. I finally gave up on it, and told him I was tired and it can deal with the relationship with his boys, I'm done trying.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2010

• Emotional abuse is serious, words hit as hard as a fist and you NEED to make him understand that. You can discipline a child without breaking his/her spirit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2010

• I hope you can reach your husband. Do you have a person that he respects that could discuss this with him. It is probably just a fight issue with the two of you.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2010