Have you ever had a nervous break down?

Hi all, yesterday my older sis who has 5 kids, Okay let me re-phrase that 5 misbehaved kids had a nervous break-down. I thought all this time she had it together and had all the patience in the world but I guess this happens to the best of us. Truth be told I was frightened as she cried her eyes out and told all her kids to "get out" over and over again. My mom finally had to intervene. I wanted to know if there are any moms out there that have ever had a bad day like that and what did you do to calm down?

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have had one and I don't have depression. Life just got to be too much. The bills weren't getting paid cause me and hubby couldn't find work, the kids weren't behaving because they were stressed as well, plus my relationship was going down the drain. So one day I just lost it because I found out I was pregnant I never cry but I did that day. I always been a very strong person but part of me just broke. I called my mom to get my kids and I went to bed and I didn't get out for about three days. My husband was concerned so he stayed home those days to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself. We are still struggling but I feel much better now
    Anonymous

• I've had several full blown nervous breakdowns over the course of the last 10 years.
    My first was when my kids were 4 months, 17 months and 2 1/2. I just lost it and trashed the house while screaming until I locked myself in the bathroom and wouldn't come out. I just sat there rocking and crying until my husband came home and found the kids still up at midnight, unfed and unchanged. We ended up having to send the older 2 to stay with family for 3 weeks while I recovered and all I did the whole time was sleep and sit and stare at the wall (along with feeding and changing the baby). It was awful.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• There is no such thing as a nervous breakdown.

It is not a diagnosis, it's something people make up. What you may be describing is major depression. There are drugs for major depression and most people can keep taking care of their kids and going to their jobs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Ahhh, yet another person that knows more about me and my health than I do.
    My mistake.

Once again I'm proved that my feelings are invalid and wrong and I should shut my mouth. Sigh. I hate this site.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It does happen, and some people do call it a nervous breakdown. It happens when depression gets the best of you. Your sister does need to see a doctor. It is good that you and your mom were available to help out. It's nothing to be ashamed of, I've gone through it and had to be hospitalized for a few days. Being on the right meds and getting support helps a lot.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• yes I have...I was in a mental hospital a week ago because of this. For me it was just alot of major stressors and I could not cope. This is not typical for me but the last 2 mos I have been severely depressed and just lost it last thursday night.
    Anonymous

• I had a nervous breakdown 8 years ago. It felt like the weight of the world was crushing me. All I could do was cry, scream and vomit. The neighbors heard me and tried to knock the door down to get to me. I finally called 911 and told them I wanted to kill myself. They took me to a psychiatric hospital. I'm glad I got the help...I still struggle with major depression, but at least now I am on meds and I have support.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I had one on New Year's Eve. I was 8 months pregnant, very stressed over some recent holiday events, and looking forward to a night out with my DH. We dropped DS off with the monster-in-law, and she called the second we got back home to come get him. She hadn't been paying attention to him when we left, and he nearly ran out of the house. My husband got to him before we pulled out, but she yelled at our son and freaked him out. Anyway, I was so angry over the whole situation and everything else that had been going on that I just lost it. I locked myself in my room while DH went back to MIL's house to get our son. I didn't talk to either of them and the next day I got up and left for a few hours. I just couldn't take being a wife and mother at that particular moment. The breakdown had been coming; it just took my MIL being a total bitch to tip me over the edge.
    Anonymous

• The day my 4 week old DD died. I completely lost it and had to be hospitalized and sedated. For the better part of the week following her death, I was in a mental health facility on suicide watch. When they released me, they told my husband that my brain had basically went into sleep mode even though I was still aware of what happened. Because of this, I have no memory of the events following the day she died, I only know what others have told me.

Its strange to look back on such a traumatic event in my life and not be able to remember it. I remember everything before I was told she was gone and then every thing gets hazy from there.

Nervous break downs are real and they do happen. I think its the brains way of handling large amounts of stress and traumatic events.
    Anonymous

• ((((((((((((anon 9:43))))))))))))))
    Anonymous