Should I have not feed the cat?

For 4 days now, there has been a cat that has been sleeping under our cars and stays right at our doorstep. I noticed that he was wearing a collar, but he has been too skiddish for me to get a good look at it. Yesterday, it was 100 degrees outside and the cat didn't look good at all. I gave it some water and a can of food because I was afraid that the cat was getting dehydrated and very hungry. While the cat was eating I was able to look at his collar. He had his name on it and a phone number. I called the number and it went straight to voice mail. I called again the next morning and it rang but no one answered so I left a message. I explained that we lived in a condo area that had high traffic volume and was worried about the cat getting run over. I left my contact info as well as the unit number to our condo. Later that day, I went home and the cat was still there. I called the number again. Cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Wow she does not sound like a very good pet owner! She should be thanking you for finding and taking care of her cat and make arrangements with you to get the cat back-- she should NOT be yelling at you for being a kind person and feeding her starving, neglected cat! I think you did the right thing in feeding and watering the cat.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Cont.. I called the number again and a lady answered. I asked her if she got my message and she told me no, so I explained about the cat. Her response was "Yea, he got out a few days ago and hasn't come back. Did you give him anything to eat?" I told her about the water and the cat food the night before and why I gave it to him. She then proceeded to yell at me and tell me that I was why her cat had not come back to her. She told me that I should not have feed him and that if he gets out again, he will probably come back to me. Seriously?!? I was just trying to be a good neighbor. As condo owners we are suppose to keep our pets inside unless they are on a leash. But, maybe I am wrong. Should I have not fed the cat?

Anonymous

• I would have fed it. I probably wouldn't have let her have it back since he obviously ran away for a reason.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Of corse you should, it is not tha poor cats fault the owner has..."issues".
    Wow, some people, huh?
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would have said back to her, "well lady it was either I fed the cat or I delivered it in a garbage back after it keeled over from dehydration. Perhaps I should call SPCA or a volunteer center for animals instead, since it's obvious this cat would rather die than return home".
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You did the right thing. The woman should be ashamed of the way she handled it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Yes you did the right thing. Normally cats do return home when they get hungry but as you said the cat had been outside your home for several days and was either very lost or is mistreated by it's owners and did not want to go home. You feeding the cat had nothing to do with it not returning home. That woman should have thanked you immediately for not letting her cat die in the street.
    Anonymous