5 yr old keeps pouring his drink on his dinner.....

My 5 yr old son keeps pouring his drinks in his food. So we have to make him something else. When we keep making something new he is not learning its not right. My DH wants to send him to bed with no dinner. Which normally I would not have a problem with, but he didn't eat lunch today. So I suggested making him eat the soggy sandwhich and if it tastes like crud maybe next time he will think twice about putting his drink in it. What would you do?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't serve him milk until he's finished with his dinner.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'd give him a choice, go to bed early with no dinner or eat the soggy sandwich...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• First I would not give him a drink with his dinner. Also if he did it I would make him eat the soggy nasty mess. If he doesn't eat it, he will go to bed hungry. He is quite old enough to know that actions = consequences.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• He is far too old for such behavior (though I went through the same thing with my ds for a while, when he was about 3). He had 2 choices: 1) eat the soggy food 2) be hungry.

Missing a single meal here or there because he refuses to eat what he was given, and then ruined, will not kill him. Heck, it won't have any lasting impact beyond learning NOT to do it to begin with.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• He is definitely old enough to know NOT to do that.

I'd send him to bed without food. or tell him to eat the soggy sandwich.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• No drinks with meals or you hold the drink and he drinks with a straw. This sounds like it might be a sign of other, bigger problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• This.

:

* SleepingBeautee

Sleep...
    First I would not give him a drink with his dinner. Also if he did it I would make him eat the soggy nasty mess. If he doesn't eat it, he will go to bed hungry. He is quite old enough to know that actions = consequences.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If this were my child, here's what I would do: 1) I wouldn't give him a drink and food at the same time for a while, only one or the other. If he wants a drink during the meal I would remove the plate first and then hand him a drink, or I might keep his drink in the kitchen so that he has to get up and go get a drink in the other room. Depending on the kid, putting his drink in a non-spill sippy cup might work too. If he complains, I would explain that when I could trust him not to dump his drink in his food he could have his drink at the table in a cup again. 2) I would keep other food choices around that he could make for himself when he doesn't like what I make. 3) If he doesn't like what I made and doesn't want to make something else for himself, then he can choose to either eat his soggy food or go hungry. I would make it very clear that it is *HIS* choice though. I would not make him something else to eat.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

What she said!! ^^^^
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 9:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'd make him eat the soggy food.
    Anonymous