Help.... How can I wean my three yr old..

Yes.. I said three yr old. My daughter Brisa was a breastfed baby. I breastfed her for almost two years.... then I had my son. After my son was born, I wanted to breastfeed him, but I was put on a lot of medications that were contraindictive to breastfeeding so I bottlefed him. My daughter Brisa was still breastfeeding and drinking from a cup, so basically se had to stop cold turkey, so when she saw Adan with a bottle, she wanted one too. BIG MISTAKE. Now she drinks 2 bottles a day, or more when she is sick. I can't get her to stop. I have bought her cups with all her favorite characters, told her only babies drink from bottles, everything. She won't give up thoselast two bottles. HELP.... and please no bashing.... if you have nothing nice to say... please say nothing.

kimandadan

Asked by kimandadan at 7:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she drink the two bottles at the same time everyday? My firstborn was taking a bottle until 2 1/2. Thankfully it was just at bedtime. Does she drink milk? or Water? My son drank milk. A couple of the bottles riight before bed. I started making his second bottle water. After a while his first bottle was just half filled and then he got water in it. Eventually I just went to water in the bottle and if he wanted a refill it was a sippy cup. Once he was drinking out of the sippy cup I just took away the bottle. We had about two nights that he cried himself to sleep and that was it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You probably got bad info about drugs and breastfeeding. Unless you were getting chemo you probably could have breastfed. Even with chemo you can breastfeed after you get done with it. I developed many medical problems while I was pregnant with my youngest and had to be on 10 or more meds while breastfeeding. That was all the time, when I got sick I had to be on more and I also had to have IV medications every 3 weeks. I was also diagnosed with cancer when he was around 2 mo. I had several hospitalizations including for septicemia (bacteria in the blood) while he was an infant and asked to keep him with me. He had no formula or bottles. He breastfed almost 3 years.

You could still relactate with your youngest. Throw out all the bottles and say no more bottles!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Throw away her bottles.
    Anonymous

• Well sometimes the only way is to just throw out the bottles, tell her No more. Easier said than done I know. But sometimes it's the only way. You can make a game out of it, or use a star chart. My kids never had attachments to their bottles, BUT, my son had a Paci and my daughter sucked her finger, so we didn't get off scott free lol. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Some meds have been show to cross over to a womans breast milk, there is no long term data on the effects they could have on the baby. It's always best to follow doctors advice when it comes to anything to take while preggers or breastfeeding
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It looks like your son is old enough too, there should just not be any bottles in the house. Cold Turkey is the only way to go at this point......Toss them in the trash and just be done. The older they get, the harder it wil be.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Does she make herself the bottles? Stop making them for her and she won't have them anymore!
    Anonymous

• thanks for the answers... even the smart ass ones...i'm curious why they are always anonymous though!!!! Could it be that your not always the perfect mom But thanks just the same.
    kimandadan

Answer by kimandadan at 10:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010