i need help with something...

ok so yesterday i lost my wallet..had everything in there..i had a good $700 cash, plus i had my debit card, my husband and daughters social cards...what do i do first? well i know to cancel my debit card. but about the socials..what do i do about that? im so devestated.. why do all the bad things happen to the good people? :(

ABBY90

Asked by ABBY90 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go to the SS office and tell them you need new ones. Explain to them what happened and they should be able to help you with the steps of what to do as far as putting a flag on the numbers. Why were you walking around w/ $700 in cash?
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• ok i'll do that..and i had $700 because i was going to pay my rent... :(
    ABBY90

Answer by ABBY90 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm so sorry. Bad things do happen and we've all been there. Suggestions:

Here are some basic steps:

1. Report the loss of your credit, ATM and debit cards to your bank asap. If you report a lost card within 2 days, you are only responsible for $50 of unauthorized charges.

2.Contact the social security office and they will tell you how to get new cards

3. Report your loss to a credit agency. They are bound by law to inform the other agencies. They keep the information for 90 days so if anyone tries to open a credit card in your name, they won't be able to. Here's the contact info for one:Equifax P.O. Box 740256 Atlanta, GA 30374, 1-800-685-1111, http://www.equifax.com/

4. Contact the police so there's a record. This will make it easier to prove future charges don't belong to you.

Amigram

Answer by Amigram at 8:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• If you have renters insurance it may pay for the loss. I had my purse stolen a few years ago and I was able to make a claim, they paid for my cell phone and everything...even the cost of the purse..which was kind of spendy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Have you prayed yet? I have lost my purse 3 times in the last 3 months. Really just carelessness on my part, I'm a forgetful person.

Each and every time God has provided a way for me to get my purse back with all the money still in it.

I don't mean to sound preachy if you don't share my belifes, I just really think that God had a hand in everything that happens to us and sometimes he really helps us out.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2010