Gun Safety

I was reading a post in one of my groups about a 3 year old shotting himself.

It got me thinking. At what do you think a kid is old enough to learn basic gun safety?

Apple_Pie2010

Asked by Apple_Pie2010 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think homes with children or teens should have guns and they don't need gun safety.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• From the moment they understand. If you chose to have guns in the house the responsiable thing to do is to teach your child about gun safety. My son plays with toy guns and I teach him gun safety. Never point at people, when he goes to bed he will put his gun in his closet. Hes 2 so, I teach him what he can understand.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• i agree with armywife, as soon as they are old enough to understand, they need to be taught about gun safety. my dad was the range master for the sheriff department where we lived, so i was brought up around guns and was taught and went through training courses at a young age (somewhere between 6 and 8 i think). i think it's important for kids to know how to be responsible with guns.
    Anonymous

• If you have a gun in your home it should be locked in a case with a safety. A child living in a home with a gun should not know where the key is and should be taught gun safety from the earliest age even at 3 years old a simple 'no that is for grown ups and is NOT a toy. DO NOT TOUCH.' As they get older you could go into more detail. IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Teaching them young also takes the wow what's this factor away so they are less likely to try and play with one.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 8:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Just thought I'd add we don't have a gun in our house. And don't plan on getting one.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• homes with kids should not have guns! We are military and do not own a gun!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We had a riffle in our house for hunting, but now we store at my parents since they have a gun cabinet. I plan on getting my concealed weapons liscences and a pistol before the gov takes that away too. The more you make it taboo to kids, i believe the more they want to get into it. My kids see my dad shoot squirrels on his property with his .22, they know guns are not toys, (other than the ones my son has to play with) they don't think twice about the riffles in the house. My dad even has a colt revolved replica that he uses for speed draw competitions. The kids have seen it... and I dont' even know where he stores it. I let my kids spend the night all the time there. Gun responsibilty starts with the adults.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2010