Is $4.50 too much to spend for 4-oz organic meals for my two year old?

I am having a hard time finding the motivation to cook for my two year old, and I often feed her organic yogurt, bagels, bananas, peas, pizza (not often!!) and other easy-to-grab foods for dinner. I am feeling guilty, and was thinking of purchasing some organic meals online. But they are all $4.50 for 4 oz meals. Although the meals look delicious, it seems a bit too expensive. what do you think?

(I am suffering from depression, which is why my motivation to cook has decreased so much. Please don't lecture me on how I should cook for my daughter...I'm doing the best I can).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I think that's too much but you know if you can afford it and it helps with your situation then go for it.

Hope you feel better soon.hugs

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I think you are the only person who can decide whether it's too much or not. Only you know your financial situation and whether or not you can afford to pay that much. Do whatever you need to do to meet your needs as well as your daughters, as long as it doesn't make another area of your life (like your finances) worse. That will only add to your depression. Also, there is nothing wrong with feeding your daughter easy to grab foods! You DO NOT have to cook in order to eat nutritiously. As a matter of fact, I think it's easier to eat nutritiously when foods are as simple as possible. As long as she is eating a wide variety of mostly healthy foods, you have no reason to feel guilty about giving her simple foods.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You know your financial situation. If you can afford it, then yes I would do it. I try making up a bunch of frozen meals ahead of time and make them in individual portions so I can grab them when I don't want to cook. I don't know how often you are thinking of using these kinds of meals, but I don't see anything wrong with snacking around for lunch (and sometimes supper when we're really busy) with things like fruit salads, organic yogurt, organic cheeses, pretzels, etc. Organic apples and peanut butter are a great snack. I don't know that I would personally buy them for my family, but if I was looking into buying some, then I would only buy them organically prepared.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 9:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• well, it's no more than a happy meal if that makes you feel better...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Actually, as a 2 yr old, your daughter can eat the same things that you do. Cook for both of you and see if that helps both of you. And if your depression keeps up, see someone.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Movement is the best thing for depression (and some vitamin B complex). So get up and move. Challenge yourself to make a grocery list and make her meals. It will fight the depression. Take it from the Queen of Depression. Oh, and yes that's too much.
    Anonymous

• OP

I usually put a Lean Cuisine in the microwave, but I'm not sure if she can eat those as well (on occasion). I'm concerned about the sodium.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• please seek help! and yes that is way too much!!!..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• A two year old should be eating what the rest of the family is eating. You should all be eating a healthy, balanced diet. Ask your family doctor for a referral to a nutritionist or dietician.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Yeah, that's rather pricey for only 4 oz.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2010