what age should a child attend a funeral?

My son is 5yr old and his great grandma has died.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• let him c her...its ok and srry for ur loss
    Anonymous

• I'd say around 12. Seeing his granny lying there is going to scare and confuse him. If you say she's gone he'll say no she's not, I saw her there. Kids these age start to think that the dead person is asleep,and are scared to go to sleep themselves.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• as soon as someone who matters to the child dies!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I agree with JoLee. All ages should go. If they are too young they won't understand and if they are old enough to ask questions then it should be explained to them.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Take him. Do not shelter him from death. Explain ittake him to the funeral. The last this you want is for the first experience your child has with death and funerals is to be there grandparent or parent. Children are kept from things they should know about and subjected daily to things they dont need to know. I took my son to his first funeral when he was three because my parents are older and he is very close to them and if he ever looses them I want him to understand.
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• As long as the child will behave during the service, I'd say any age. Death is a natural part of life especially for someone older like a great-grandma. Hiding death from them makes it seem scary and less than natural. He might ask questions, so be ready to answer them. Avoid using terms like "she's sleeping" or things like that because it can be confusing. Maybe explain that as we get older our bodies wear out and eventually our bodies stop working and they can't be fixed. And when that happens the thing that makes is unique (our soul or whatever religious belief you have) is no longer part of the body. The body is an empty shell and so we bury the body and keep the person in our hearts and minds when we remember them. You can include whatever religious beliefs you have about death.

I'm sorry for our loss.
    Anonymous

• My children have all attended at least one funeral. They are 4, 3, 20 months, and 6 months. Death is a part of life. It is not something I like for my kids to learn, but it is something they should learn about. And I guess I would rather them understand on their age level, before someone very important to them dies.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2010