• In the Spotlight:

11 month old sleep habits

Hello,

I am a first time mother to a breastfed, 11 month old baby girl who wakes up between 2 and 4 times each night and has for months. I am aware of all the sleep training methods but have not done any sort of hard-core cry-it-out. I know she doesn't need the nutrition at night and most likely she's waking out of habit, for comfort. Because of our small apartment, she sleeps in our room in a crib (there is another bedroom on a different floor). Part of me just wants to keep responding to her during the night (usually nursing her puts her right back to sleep...she does not take a pacifier) because frankly, at 2 or 3 or 4 am, I am not interested in sleep training her...I want my own sleep! We give her a chance to fall back asleep on her own. By the way, she has self-soothing skills....I never put her down asleep, just drowsy. Will she grow out of this? Anyone NOT sleep train and instead just wait it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt have to do anything with my son. I just put him to bed when hes tired. He was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. I believe every child is different and it all depends on the child. They dont sleep therough the night till they are ready. I dont think theres anything you can do to help it along.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• This is the reason I bedshare- and I had a night feeder too (well, 2 of my 3, actually). I never denied him at night, frankly, if I wake up very hungry or thirsty, I go get a drink or snack. Know what I mean? I couldn't deny my child that.
    Breast Milk is digested very quickly, and they DO wake up hungry. I understand your need for sleep, but this time is so short, it will be over before you know it, and you will want it back- Please, whatever conclusion you come to, CIO is abuse. Don't go there.

All of mine sleep alone now, and they never had any problems transitioning... We simply set a bed time, they get hugs & kisses, and go to bed. When you try to "sleep train" a BABY, you set yourself up for long term anxiety problems, the poor babies just need to be snuggled- you don't like to be alone when your scared, neither do they. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Does she eat solids or solely BF? Either way, she probably isn't getting enough to eat during the day and wakes up during the night but is probably waking up due to habit, like you said.

If you give her solids, she needs to be eating 3 meals a day plus healthy snacks in between.

My almost 11 month old son used to wake up like clockwork every night at 2:30 for a while till we started giving him more food during the day (pedi's rec), and he eventually started STTN. He sometimes wakes up an hour after he goes down for the night and just needs some reassurance, and he falls back to sleep.

If you're not giving her solids, you need to do so soon or you'll stuggle with it as I know someone who hadn't given her daughter any solids till she was 2 and had a REALLY difficult time introducing her to solids then...ooops!

Good luck. If you have more questions and are concerned, call your pedi! =)
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 9:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I was in the EXACT same boat up until a week ago! My daughter just turned 1 and she was up 2-4 times per night also. I would nurse her for 5 minutes and put her back down each time. I didn't have the heart to let her cry.....so after she turned one and I heard for the MILLIONTH time that other people's kid's learned to sleep through the night after just a few nights of "crying-it-out", I decided to try it - but I was only going to let her cry for 10 minutes. So here's how it's been going....I put her down drowsy and she might cry for longer than 10 mins, if so I go up and lay her back down and comfort her for a minute - she's never stayed awake longer than 20 mins, and in the night when she wakes up she never cries for more than 5 minutes! She goes right back to sleep. I HIGHLY recommend setting a small time limit like I did and giving it a shot. I am so upset I waited so long!! My other piece of advice would be (cont)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• move her out of your room. When my daughter can see me she will cry and cry and cry, but once I'm out of sight she calms down SOOO much faster. I had a hard time putting my daughter upstairs also but eventually I was okay with it...it all takes a few days to get used to but it's really worth it. Seriously I posted questions EXACTLY like yours SOOO many times...I couldn't let her cry but eventually was ready to give it a try...give her just 10 minutes, check on her, pat her back, lay her back down and repeat....I wish you luck!!! I can't even begin to tell you how good the last few nights of real sleep have felt!! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Yes she will grow out of this. I doubt it is because you are not feeding her enough during the day. My 11 mo old also nurses several times during the night, and she eats at TON of solids, and nurses a lot during the day as well. I keep mine in bed with me so that I don't have to get up and it really does not interrupt me much when she needs to nurse during the night.
    Know that you are not doing anything wrong and she will eventually sleep through the night on her own.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• We co-slept until Alyssa was sleeping through the night on a regular basis (around 14 months); it was easy for me to doze/sleep while she nursed. She napped in her crib, so the transition was not difficult (we started moving her asleep, so she woke up in her bed.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2010