Questions for those who have had both induced and non induced births....

So I'm not pregnant yet but we plan on starting to ttc in the next few months. I was induced with both of my boys at 41 weeks. My labor was fairly quick, well the painful part of it. I was only in what I considered labor for about 4 hours with each although it took me about 24 hours of induction to really go into labor. My question is, if I am lucky enough to go into labor on my own with the next one what are the chances that it will be as speedy as my first labors? From the time they broke my water (I really couldn't feel the contractions before that with either) until they came out was between 4 and 5 hours. Should I expect it to take a lot longer without the pitocin?

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I heard that the more kids you have the quicker they pop out lol I don't know if its true or not.

I was going to be induced on Valentines day because it was almost 2 weeks over my due date. I went in labor the day before.i was in labor for 9 hours and pushed for 1 of those hours. I had an epi but I don't think that changes how long it takes.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• It definately is not true the more you have the faster they go. I have 4 and am being induced with my 5th Monday. My first daughter was on her own labor and was 26 hours. My second again was on her own and she was prodromal labor for a week and then actual in hospital labor for 7 hours. My third was premature rupture of membranes with no contractions starting after 3 hours so he was pit induced and 11 hours. My third was induced due to preeclampsia and was 16 hours of pit. Hoping Monday's goes faster. It all depends. My mom had us all natural labor, inductions and went 2 1/2, 4, and 2 hours in that order.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I had my first with no drugs to induce and she took 10 hours , my 3rd child was induced with a drip through my iv and they broke my water for me and he took 12 hours so he actually took longer then going on my own, Every labor is different and you can just never tell. They say with each child they deliver quicker but that also depends on the woman we have many women and babies in our family and each was very different
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 11:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• With my first I was going to be induced but went into labor on my own. With my second I was induced and from start to finish I was in labor only about 5 hours. Everyone is different though.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• #1 was totally natural at 42.5 weeks - 36 hours.
    #2 was totally induced at 41 weeks - about 9 hours total, can't remember exactly anymore.
    #3 was totally natural at 39 weeks 3days - about 7 hours total.
    #4 was totally induced at 39 weeks - about 12 hours I think...maybe 18? Ugh, bugs me I can't remember.
    #5 was a combo at 40 weeks - natural labor for over a week, induction took 3 hours from pit to birth.

There's no promise a natural labor will go faster or slower. There's no telling.
    Anonymous

• One kid, natural at 40 weeks and 2 days, 7 hours max.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Well my labors went like this:

#1 induced at 41 weeks 16.5 hours from start to finish.

#2 natural at 41 weeks 38 hours start to finish.

I don't think my second labor would have lasted as long if my son hadn't have been stuck on my pelvis so there was nothing really pushing on my cervix to help dialate it. It really just depends on the baby, I can tell you that even though my natural labor was horribly painful because of the babies positioning (I ended up caving and getting an epidural which I don't regret) the pitocin labor was pretty much aweful and absolutely worse then the natural labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You will go into labor if you allow your body the opportunity.
    So once you do~~ I would guess it might be fairly smooth. How fast? Maybe the same, or shorter. Or longer. lol **But SAFER!** And that is an important consideration.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Oh, yes-- my non-induced labor was faster and smoother and a few weeks after my due date. So happy and fun and easy. "Butter!"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2010