Getting Pregnant and staying pregnant with hypothyroidism

I was recently Dx with hypothyroidism and before this Ive been unsucessfully trying to get pregnant for 6 months. I miscarried last year and after reading up on it i found out that the disease can cause miscarriages. I just wanted to hear if anyone ccan relate and how long it took for you to get pregnant once you started ur meds, and also what Dr's said to you about getting/being pregnant with it. I saw my OBgyn so far who said it could have caused my miscarriage but its ok to keep trying even though he thinks it will take about 4 months before I could even get pregnant. He wants me to see an endocrin. to get all of the details about everything but getting an appt with one of these Dr's is near impossible.

Im really just looking for a little bit of peace of mind hopefully from anyone who can relate and has any info or advice on the subject.

Thanks ladies!

blue7eyed3girl

Asked by blue7eyed3girl at 10:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I got pregnant with hypothyroidism, and didn't have difficulty conceiving, but I did miscarry my first. I don't believe that was the issue though, there was nothing said about that when it happened. I'm not sure about the drug mentioned though, but you may need a second opinion if you're not confident in what you're being told.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I have hypothyroidism as well, actually from my first pregnancy/childbirth. It took me about six months to conceive after stopping my BC, so not really long at all. I think as soon as you get your thyroid levels evened out again, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I've never seen an endocrinologist. I'm on 25mcg of Levothyroxine daily (which is a pretty small dose, I think). My levels have been good for three years now.
    Anonymous

• I have hypothyroid too and was told it can make you sterile. my sil has it too and she's been trying for years to get pregnant and can't. I think it depends on how far along the disease is or how bad it's gotten. I would see an endocrinologist because they specialize in this and can make your levels right on. I have found family docs don't really have a clue about hypothyroid my levels were extremly high every since I started going to one. seriously make the apt. and go.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2010