Is this child abuse?

I needed to go to a preschool to book a photo shoot today and my mom wouldn't keep my 2 year old for the 20 minutes it was going to take me. So I was going to leave him in the car with it locked and the AC on. The preschool has glass doors and parking right outside the door. So I could have seen him the entire time. But she flipped out and said that was child abuse and kept him. She wanted me to take him inside but it's hard to be professional with a 2 year old trying to run around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• If a policeman saw your 2 yo in the car alone he would take him to children's services. It's just not safe.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that if it's not exactly abuse it's still illegal, and could get you in major trouble. I get not being able to be professional with a 2 year old running around... maybe find a backup sitter so if your mom refuses you still have someone to keep him?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Never, EVER leave a child alone in a car! It is most certainly grounds for child abuse charges and arrest!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Not child abuse, but not smart either. If you're inside, someone could easily break into your car and take it while you try to make it back out. Especially since you wanted to leave the AC on, meaning the car would have to stay running.
    Anonymous

• I think that wasn't the brightest thing to do whether you were "found out" or not.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 10:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• What would happen if the air turned off? You would have not even known it.
    Anonymous

• Not abuse per se, but neglect. That said, I know women who do it every day in the school parking lot while they pick up their elementary aged kids. I would never do it and it is illegal I believe. I can understand your predicament but next time you just bring in the toddler and say, "I had no sitter!"
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Not abuse but could get you introuble and what if he/she got out somehow or someone stole the car? I think weve all left out kids in the vehicle for some amount of time at one point, 2 is too young though,
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• OMG that is not only wrong on so many levels, it''s dangerous AND ILLEGAL!
    Anonymous

• yeah, my dd did that with her 2 yr old and he got out of the car seat and tried to move the gear shift. not a good idea
    Anonymous