Does caffeine go through to breast milk? Does sugar? If I am eating a lot of chocolate during the day could that be keeping my baby awake at night?

If I am eating a lot of chocolate during the day could that be keeping my baby awake at night? She nurses on about a 3 hour schedule all day and naps about an hour and is awake about an hour between feedings all day but from 7 pm until after midnight she is wide awake. How can I reverse her schedule so she sleeps between feedings during the night and is awake during the day? She is 3 1/2 weeks old

laurenmdahl

Asked by laurenmdahl at 11:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everything goes right to your milk.
    Anonymous

• did you know that an apple has the exact same amount of sugar as a bar of hurshey milk chocolate, 23 grams of sugar. the difference is apples also have fiber and vitamins....point being you eating chocolate wouldn't keep your baby up
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Caffiene does get in your breast milk. The sugar/ carbohydrate content of your milk is relatively the same regardless of your diet. I don't think babies "sleep train" at 3-4 weeks. Their nervous system is still developing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• The only thing you can do is keep active during the day. Normal activity, light, and noise. Let her sleep wherever you are. At night tone it down, low/no lights, more quiet, boring. It will get better.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• no lights tv noise or playing at night time feedings, but daytime feedings keep very active with noise tv and lights. have a bedtime routine every night. since i brought my son home from the hospital between 9-10 he has a warm bath with johnson + johnson help baby sleep better soap, and then help baby sleep better lotion all over. that stuff works! he goes OUT.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• just like purpulbutterfly said..make a nightly routine so the baby gets used to it and knows that bedtime is here...i bathe the baby with Johnson & Johnson night time bath soap and also use the night time lotion..then i feed her and she KNOCKS out for up to 4 hours throughtout the night and just wakes up every 4 hours to eat and she is 3 weeks old. also keep in mind that wen u drink caffeine...it goes thru breastmilk and CAN cause gas pains for the baby so limit ur caffeine
    PeruvianMami954

Answer by PeruvianMami954 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I don't personally agree with routine. The problem with doing the same thing night after night, is that one day you aren't going to do that sequence or want to skip one and you are going to have a problem. Plus for some babies baths are stimulating rather than relaxing. For others, too many baths seriously dries out their skin and creates an eczema flare up. Especially the J&J soap and lotion...they are very full of chemicals (read the labels) and contact dermatitis is not uncommon. Not good for the skin at all. It can also cause headaches from the smell overload. just a warning.

If you decide to do the baths anyway at least use an unscented, dye free soap like castille or oatmeal. If you want to put something on the skin stick with a plain oil like olive or coconut or shea butter.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• Even though caffeine does get into the breast milk I wouldn't think that is the issue since she has no problem sleeping during the day and I have heard that caffeine stays in the system for up to 16 hrs. You could try keeping her up and active more during the day since it sounds like her schedule is just turned around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• Well I never try to "sleep train" my babies before 2 months but I can tell you that caffiene will only stay in YOUR system for about 8 hours but recent studies show that for SOME babies caffiene can stay in their systems for up to 96 hours. I just had a baby in april and I recently gave up drinking soda's except maybe once a week and I don't know if it's just his age or that I am not strung out on caffiene anymore but he'll fall right to sleep after his bath. Just do what the other ladies have said and make sure to keep it busy and bright during the day and quiet and dark at night and everything will work out soon enough. Good Luck, I hope you get some sleep soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• caffeine does go in to breastmilk, your sugar intake won't affect your milk though. at 3 and a half weeks your baby's sleep habits have way more to do with age than anything else. It will just take time for her to get used to the difference between night and day.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2010