My dog keeps drinking rain water even though she has fresh clean water inside...any suggestions?

My dog is moderately trained to stay in the yard - she has wandered out of the yard twice in the last 7 months and both times was during the day. At night I let her out and we walk to the side of the house, I wait at the corner for her to find a spot to potty. My problem is I don't want to be standing around in the dark for 20 minutes while she drinks puddles instead of going potty. If I don't take her out before I go to bed she pees in the bathroom. I don't understand why she drinks the rain water when she has a full water bowl in the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Pets

• He's a dog. They drink out of the toilet occassionally, why does it matter what kind of water they drink? If he were running around wild he'd drink rain water.
    Anonymous

• my cat drinks out of the toilet, the sink, the bathtub, basically anywhere except her clean water bowl. don't worry about it, there's no real way to train them to drink anywhere else
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• OP: I'm not worried about what the rain water will do to her. I just want her to stop drinking it at night when I take her out to go potty - some nights are still kind chilly and I just want to sleep but she'll spend the whole time drinking rain water and like I said if I don't bring her out at night she will pee in the bathroom and usually either me, my SO or one of the kids ends up walking through it.
    Anonymous

• If you don't want your dog to take her time then walk her on a leash. I just let my dog out to do what ever and when she comes back I let her in. Some times she plays some time she barks. She always drinks out of the bird bath. LOL
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• How often do you take your dog out for a walk or for play time? It sounds like the dog needs more walks or more outside playtime. The other thing you can do is buy a long lead and chain the dog outside for a bit.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• {OP}: Thanks for the suggestions. She spend a lot of time outside. During the day the door is open and she knows how to push the screen door open so she spend most of the day in the yard with me and the kids.
    Anonymous

• its not that big a deal they see water they drink my dog will have a water dish like 5 feet from him but would rather drink for the kiddy pool next to him. hell one of our dogs eats cat poo. they dont care. we care they dont in the wild they would eat and drink what ever was there. at lest the rain water is cleaner that the kids pool water seeing how my son is 2.
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 2:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2010