how can i keep my 18 year old senior graduate from getting a tattoo.... his friends are getting them and I am very against it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• You can't. It's his body and he is of legal age. You can make your wishes known, tell him why you feel the way you do about tattoos and hope he doesn't do it, but in the end, it's his decision.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• don't try to stop him! he's an adult, and regardless of whether you like it or not, he's old enough to be making his own decisions, based on who he his. There's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• There is nothing you can do , he is of legal age now. You have to let him be him and decide for himself even if he regrets it one day we all learn from our own mistakes and if he loves it and gets many over his life time there is nothing wrong with that either.
    Anonymous

• Maybe, instead of trying to stop him you should just talk to him about considering a few important things. *this is forever so you better think long and hard about WHAT you are putting on you. *how will this look when you are 80 and have great grand kids? * Where will this be and is this somewhere that can be easily hidden for professional jobs?
    Just lay it all out there as to what he needs to consider (I think the what it is is the biggest. people always get what they are into at the time and then they change because they aren't fully sure who they are yet when they are 18)
    Then after that it really is up to him.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• "while you live in my home it's against my rules to have those things" You can control what happens if he's living in your home and not paying rent.
    Anonymous

• all u can do is voice your opposition, you can not keep him from doing it. but if you voice your opposition, it will make it him want it more.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I would talk to him. I personally would prefer if my adult kids would not get them either. However I talk to them. Is he really interested in them? The thing is you raised him, if you are rigid with him about his own body he may just do it to spite you. I don't know your boy- he may want to spread his wings a little bit.
    I talk to my kids about tat's and ask them how they feel about them. I asked my 16 y/o the other day. She said they are ok, I wondered if she would ever do one? She said no. My other two kid are the same.. They think it is really not for them. So keep talking and talking. ASk him questions. Let him talk.
    I think the thing is that if you say "think how this will look when your old" won't fly. Kids at this age think 3 years ago was a long time. So worse come to worse he gets it. You will have to live with his decision. So will he. If that is the worse thing he does then your gonna be ok.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• maybe just try to help him pick out something tasteful and atleast try to talk him into putting it somewhere out of sight..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I would suggest researching the medical side of this and asking him to look it over with you before he makes his decision. For instance does he know that he cannot donate blood for 6 months after getting one? Does he know that he could contract Hepititis or HIV? Or simply an infection? Maybe if you approach him with this type of information and ask him to take these things into consideration and offer to support him by helping him to find a tatoo artist that can prove disinfection of the needles, it will cause him to think a little harder about doing something that will undoubtedly affect him the rest of his life. I would google "infections from tatoos". Present him with facts and not just your opinion. Best of luck to you.
    dcctulips

Answer by dcctulips at 10:04 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• You can't, he is 18 and doesn't need your permission. Would you rather him get a tatoo or leave and not talk to you again? Learn to pick your battles. You may not agree with a person getting a tatoo but that doesn't mean he has to agree also. He is an adult and can have his own beliefs, values, etc and some of them may be different than yours and some may be the same as yours. Just think, if the worst he does is get a tatoo, that is pretty good. He could be a drug abusing, sex crazed, mass murderer.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2010