miscarriage and starting birth control

I had a miscarriage this week and I want to take the pill for a couple months before trying again. I have my "period", or whatever it would be considered, right now but I don't know when I can start on the pill. I was so upset at the doctors office when I found out, I didn't even think to ask.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your body might need to ovulate a few times before being able to have a healthy pregnancy. I say use condoms for a couple months until your cycle regulates by itself and then try again.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It's a really difficult thing to go through. I myself did not go on the pill after my miscarriage, but I have a friend who did. If you had your miscarriage this week, you are not having your period now. It takes usually at least 4 weeks. You should be free of bleeding for about 20 days before it's actually your period. You are right now shedding the contents of your pregnancy.

I'm not a doctor, but I would assume that you can start your pill pack on the day after your real period is over. I hope it's soon for you! I bled for 3 1/2 weeks and got my period 7 1/2 weeks after my surgery. That is a little long for most women, so I hope for you that it's much sooner. Again, I'm sorry about your miscarriage. Message me if you'd like to talk.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 12:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• when you say surgery, are you talking about a d&c? If so, it is possible to shed the preg for weeks and still need the surgery?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2010

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with the comments above. When I miscarried, I bled for 21 days (not that that's normal). You want to give your body time to heal and get back to a normal rythym before birth control pills. Make a list of questions and monitor bleeding and other symptoms and call or email your doctors office. Everybody is different and you really need to ask your doctor what is best for you. Take care.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2010